whole chicken

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey Everyone:

The first time i used my WSM, i did 2 whole butterflied lemon pepper chicken per the receipe online. It was tastey. the meat did end up a bit dry though. I had trouble keeping my temperature on track. It ended up to be on average about 15-20+ degrees F higher than what i was suppose to keep it at. I was thinking it was because my temp was on the higher side? Can this be the cause?

Jerry

Jerry, I prefer to cook chicken on the kettle, but you can still use the WSM. I dont mind chicken being a little dry, gives me a reason to drink more beer.
Dale

Jerry, did you brine the chicken? If not, try it next time. It always works for me. Never dry!

I use a basic brine of brown sugar/kosher salt and water. I've tried more elaborate brine recipes but couldn't detect alot of difference, so I've stuck with the basic one.

I also believe that cooking with the skin on produces a jucier piece of chicken.

Just my opinion, Jim.

Jerry

The dryness of the chicken could have meant you let the internal temp of the meat get too high. I'm sure brine is good but I only marinate in WB Italian for convenience. 160 in breast and 180 in thigh. A higher temp in breast is a guarantee of drier meat.

Paul

Jerry,

I agree with Jim on the brine. Keep it somewhat simple. Here is one I use now exclusively and is perfect to brine a 3 to 4 lb chicken in a 1 gallon freezer bag.

4 oz maple syrup
16 oz apple juice
16 oz water
1/4 cp kosher salt
1/4 cp brown sugar
1 tbsp granulated garlic or powder
2 tsp dried ginger
2 tsp black pepper

I did two butterflied chickens last week and they were oh so tender and incredibly juicy.

As Paul pointed out, I removed it at 180 F thigh. I kept my WSM hotter than recipe and they were done in 2.5 hours. I think cooking to the same temp over 6 hours would produce less juicy chicken.

As Jim pointed out I left the skin on. I sprayed with apple juice a couple of times. The spray and the hotter temp also gave me some tasty crispy skin.

The second cause of dry poultry IMHO is the freezer. For best results I try to use fresh chicken, not frozen or previously frozen chicken. Where I live, the grocers are required to label fresh (previously frozen) meat as such. I'm also fortunate to live close to a butcher who carries fresh free-range chicken and beef. It comes at a premium but worth every penny.

Good luck on your next attempt!

I've had lots of luck with a 'beer can' chicken, substituting Goya mojo criollo for the beer and using any drink can that is available. I generally use free-range or kosher chickens(although the kosher chickens aren't always plucked as cleanly as you might like) as opposed to commercial chickens. I also look for approx. 4-pound chickens, so use 'fryer' chickens instead of 'roaster' chickens. Yum!

Thanks everyone--

I'll keep all the sugguestions in mind when i give it another go next weekend. Im gonna get this down!. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I used the Wishbone Italian Dressing last time as a marnade. I think i'll try one with a brine as well next time around just to experiment.

yah.. everything you guys mentioned made sense. The chicken i got i think may have been previously frozen. Target meat temp was a little higher than the suggested also because i was afraid of having undercooked chicken. (but alas i let it get overcooked.) Definately still learning.. but it'll be oh so much sweeter once i get it right. haha.

thanks again all.

Jerry

I'm with Randy. My first couple attempts at chicken, I used the butterfly method and they always tended to come out on the dry side. I did not brine, however, and admit that doing so most likely would have helped in that area.

However, this past weekend I gave the beer can method a try for the first time. Needless to say, I doubt I'll ever bother butterflying a chicken again. I got superior results using the beer can recipe in Smoke and Spice (there's probably something very similar in the cooking section of this web site). I started my WSM using the Minion Method (as always) and just put the 2 chickens on and cranked the all vents wide open and let the temp gradually rise. I think after 3-1/2 - 4 hours it had gotten up to about 330. Resultant chicken was moist and tender, delicious smoke flavor, and nice and crispy skin. I didn't even use a knife to carve them up-- just put on my neoprene gloves and pulled them apart not unlike I would have with a pork butt.

I've also done rotisserie chicken on my Weber grill, which is also very good. I think I get a little better smoke flavor on the WSM, though.

A trick I use with Turkey at Thanksgiving is to add a moist towel or rag to the breast area for the first hour or so of cooking. It allows the thigh to get a head start on the breast and will be a lot less prone to dry white meat. Should work on chickens too I'd imagine.

That moist towel is a good idea, I'll have to try that next time I do a turkey.

On to the chicken, I always brine my chicken. Last time after I brined it I rinsed it real well and patted it dry with paper towels. I stuck in on a beer can, a nice cheap natural lite. I smoked it about 275 for approx 2 hours until 160 in the breast.. Skin came out golden brown and crispy, and the chicken was very moist and tasty.

If you're doing a whole chicken, look back a few items for George Higgins's brine recipe. I used it on a 4lb beer can chicken I smoked yesterday and it was SENSATIONAL. I brined the bird overnite in the fridge, put chopped onions, lemon wedges and a bit of old butt rub in with the beer, cherry wood for the smoke and spritzed the bird every hour or so with apple juice. Cooked at 230-240 for four hours. It is hard to imagine chicken tasting better than this. Thanks George.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back