Who makes the BEST knives?

Hey folks! Got some of my knives last week. Wusthof ikon 8" chefs,bread knife,sandwich knife and a shun steel paring knife.
The hollow ground chef knife is terrific; nicely balanced,not to heavy,looks great and very sharp. The shun steel paring knife is a work of art. Especially like the angled handle so I do not drag my knuckles in the food.
These should serve me well.
Thanks again everyone for all the advice.

Thanks for the link Paul. I think when I buy a high quality Japanese knife(custom), I will want to handle it before purchasing. But that company has a lot of sweet knives that I was unaware of, so I learned something today. Anyway, thanks for making me drool.

I've owned Wusthof's for years. They're fantastic. The stainless steel set is the real deal. It costs a small fortune, but it's heirloom quality. It'll be around for generations, just like some nice All-Clad pots and pans. I love my cookware.

Cooks Illustrated finally did a proper testing of Japanese knives. They actually did a pretty decent job.

http://www.cooksillustrated.co...view.asp?docid=20986

The Eastern Edge
In test after test, the best knives stunned us with their ability to make precise, effortless slices. Taking apart a whole chicken at the joints and boning the breasts was a breeze with their narrow tips and maneuverable blades, and the rubbery skin practically opened up on its own. These precision instruments truly minced—rather than crushed—delicate herbs, leaving minuscule pieces of parsley unbruised, fluffy, and separate, rather than dark, oozing, and stuck together. For me, the difference stood out most when I cut through crisp onion. In contrast to clunky Western blades that tend to crush their way through the layers, my feeling of control—and the lack of irritating tears—was absolute as the thin, sharp blades glided through the onion with the barest pressure.

Just like anything else, it's the cook, not the tools. But the tools make cooking fun sometimes. Plus, some of the Japanese knives look so cool (Yes I'm form over function type of guy
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Originally posted by Paul Chan:
There is this shop in town up here in Calgary

Japanese steel, some edge'd to 16-18degs

http://knifewear.com/knives-for-sale.asp

not much more than a Henckel or Wustoff set
Thanks for that Paul ... right in my back yard ... who knew?

I'm going to head down on a day off and spend some time there. I know what I want for birthday, xmas ... sharpening class!!

Hey Shawn, Pauls a friend of mine and he had sent me this link in the past. Their address is
457 42 Avenue Se
Calgary, AB T2G 1Y3
(403) 243-5539

It looks pretty solid, good resaonable priced knives and all other kinds of stuff as well.

Clark

Well, I broke down and picked up a "Tadafusa Nashiji Hand Hammered" 7" Santoku with a classic pakka wood handle

The other half didn't like the big bolster and rivets with a full tang. This also meant it was a bit cheaper for the same
icon_smile.gif

Its a Aogami Blue #2 Steel Core (carbon steel) wrapped in soft stainless. This means, the knife is protected from rust on the outside, and yet retains a ridiculious 62-64 rockwell hardness in the core.

I "was" going to buy a Shun, and did buy a VG10 Slitbar from IKea (recently returned) and in both cases which I've compared with (I bought my Ikea Slitbar, and they had a Shun & Global to compare... along with tons others)
This knife is ridiculious... absoutely ridiculious

For some reason, when you roll your finger over the blade, it doesn't feel sharp, even though its a 15deg double bevel. Possibly because there aren't any burr's on the edge. Wow does it cut...
Its thin, its beautiful, its hard, and its ridiculously sharp.

Sharp enough to not only pass the newspaper test but also sharp enough to shave with. I did actuality try.
It also retains it edge incredibly well, as with several uses, it remains incredibly sharp.

There are much more expensive knives that he carries, that happen to be completely finished by one individual. This one doesn't come off an general assembly line like a Shun or Global, but still does have series of employees completing the finishing.

http://www.knifewear.com/knives-for-sale.asp

Also in regards to Damascus.. it really is for show
Carbon Steel is harder, can be sharpened sharper and will retain a better edge

Stainless is corrosion resistant.

This knife is cool in another regard. You ever recall the movie "croutching tiger hidden dragon"? When you tap the blade, you get a rining sound out of it.
Something I can't reproduce with my Slitbar VG10, nor my Henckles.
Not that it means anything, but its cool!

Originally posted by K Kruger:

I don't recommend a set either; instead, buy individual knives from a few different makers. And get used to (and learn to appreciate and use well) an 8" or 10" chefs knife. A santoku can have a place in your arsenal (I have a couple I use sometimes) but they are not the standard go-to knives for most professionals.

Kevin...

Do you have recommendations for Japanese knives for someone coming from a western chefs knife orientation...? I understand the straight edge vs. rocker can be pretty off-putting for some users. The differences between western chef knife, gyuto, santoku & deba seem refined and especially hard to appreciate without going and seeing/using.

Also - do you use a Nakiri for vegetables...?

Btw - did not mean to exclude the other knife professionals in community by directing question to Kevin; I'd like to hear about users experience with these knives vs. western, too.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Ken P.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:

I don't recommend a set either; instead, buy individual knives from a few different makers. And get used to (and learn to appreciate and use well) an 8" or 10" chefs knife. A santoku can have a place in your arsenal (I have a couple I use sometimes) but they are not the standard go-to knives for most professionals.

Kevin...

Do you have recommendations for Japanese knives for someone coming from a western chefs knife orientation...? I understand the straight edge vs. rocker can be pretty off-putting for some users. The differences between western chef knife, gyuto, santoku & deba seem refined and especially hard to appreciate without going and seeing/using.

Also - do you use a Nakiri for vegetables...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't often use a nakiri; occasionally, when fine-chopping a lot of something. More often I use a santoku or a chefs (gyuto).

Gyutos are my go-to knives and the transfer from a European or American chefs knife to a gyuto is fairly seamless. Too, many Japanese manufacturers make western-style knives (blade shape and/or handle shape differences). I use a santoku, as noted, for some fine dicing but I find santokus too short for constant go-to use. Debas are more heavy bladed and are good for when a thicker, heavier blade is needed. If interested, I'd suggest starting with a gyuto in the length closest to the chefs you are most comfortable with now, and possibly a santoku as well. Boning knives, slicers, etc., can be added, if desired, later.

You should consider a sharpening system unless you can find someone to sharpen them for you.

No matter what brand you have, a dull knife is a bad knife.

I personally own a set of Henckels and an EdgePro Apex sharpening system (Edgepro web site).

Just an update on where I am in this entry level decision & some info I've found...

I'm looking at double beveled Gyutou's in both 210mm & 240mm length that have a top end price around $130 (tho' a number are cheaper; prices list here are all for 210mm); a pretty universally well rated knife is the Tojiro DP and a very good price ($67.96) can be found at the Korin site:

http://korin.com/Tojiro-DP-Gyutou

There are some pretty persuasive threads out there that say the Korin folks prefer this knife (Togiharu G-1 Molybdenum Gyutou $118.92):

http://korin.com/G-1-Molybdenu...sc=20&category=52064

Still other who swear by Hiromoto $112.20:

http://www.japanesechefsknife....x;%20HEIGHT:%20182px

Finally, spoke with the proprietor of 'Just Knives 101' (also looking at the Tosagata Hocho Santoku) who suggested his line of Dojo's for Gyutou's ($84.95):

http://www.justknives101.com/J...ives_p/11-011-05.htm

A little short, it has a very good "HRc"...

Which leads me to yet another question; the "HRc" in this selection of knives ranges from 58 to 63; is this the kind of thing the amateur home chef can really differentiate...?

And finally, sharpening; I've seen the Apex system online but have also discovered a number of sharpening systems that fit over sink (makes sense); guess Apex prefered because of better management of angle, correct...?

Paul - btw - knife you bought looks beautiful but I'm not quite ready to spend that yet...

I'm sure these are all great knives but wouldn't mind any additional input if experts can provide; one last read (tho' sample size not big enough!):

http://www.cookingforengineers...9/Chefs-Knives-Rated

That's a very good price for the Tojiro DP. When I was shopping recently every place had it for considerably higher.

Hardness isn't everything but, all other things being equal, a harder knife will hold an edge longer. There's quite a difference in hardness between Rc 58 and 63. You would notice it easily in a side-by-side comparison.

Harder steel is also harder to sharpen. For something in the Rc 62-63 range, you had better have either very good technique or use some sort of jig like the Edge Pro. It makes holding the sharpening angle constant easy. There are people who can free-hand sharpen the new super-hard, super wear resistant steels you find these days but they are relatively few in number.

I highly recommend the Apex for all your knives, but especially for Japanese knives with their tighter angles.

I have a Tojiro DP gyuto, which I like. I especially like the honesuki from that line. It's the nut for boning out poultry. I have not tried anything from their G-1 line.

A propos the cookingforengineers thread: It is quite true the knife-in-the-hand feel should be a key factor in the decision process. My Global G2 chefs is one of my favorite knives. (I have had it since Global started, here, sometime in the 80s.) Other than its cutting/slicing qualities, I like it for the reason that some do not: its feel in the hand. Another fave: the Misono UX10 gyuto (210mm; ~ $160). The thing about length: generally, it depends on your hand size. If you have very large hands a 240mm or larger is often a better, more comfortable choice - as far as your go-to knife is concerned. I do use a longer chefs for some tasks but the longer blades are not my go-tos, as a rule.

I do like Dojo knives.

The Tadafusa Nashiji Hand Hammered is indeed a gorgeous knife...two questions...is this a single or double edged knife and what is the angle? Anyone in the US carry this?

I frequent Korin's NYC shop when ever I can and have several knives from there.

here's my selection in order purchased:

Tojiro DP santoku- best bang for the buck. My wife and I usually fight over who gets to use it. And it goes with us everywhere since its the cheapest to replace. It sharpens easily, with a few firm passes with the fine hone on the apex, and holds it edge well.

Brieto Nakiri- it looks cool, but not practical. I really miss not having a pointed tip. It has a hybrid edge (I think 70/30). I haven't used it enough to sharpen it.

Togiharu Inox Gyutou 240mm- another great knife, unfortunately its a bit long for our tastes. My wife wanted to try a bigger knife after using a friend's giant, german, chef's knife, so we picked this one out. I keep it sheathed in the drawer because my mag bar tends to scratch the blades, so its very under used. I'll have to get it out and keep it out and see if I can adjust to it. Plus I'm more confident with the apex so its probably time to break the blade in. The blade is prone to staining so wash and dry it well after using it.

Togiharu Damascus Petty- this is another go to knife. ultra sharp, looks really cool and fun to use. It holds an edge really well, I haven't needed to sharpen it since I got it despite its heavy use. The only draw back is that you do tend to hit your knuckles due to the thinness of the blade.

good luck with your purchase, you may want to read the book The Edge in the Kitchen, I got it out from the library and thought it was full of some solid advice. Most of the info can be found on the internet, but if you don't feel like spending time to search it out, its all nicely bound in a book.

one thing from the book that I found interesting, was a point the author makes about HC steel (which was referenced upthread). Its well known that HC steel can make a fine edge, but its also extremely susceptible to corrosion, and mostly everything you'll use it on will be wet, salty and acidic. A fine edge gets corroded fairly quickly and will need to be sharpened more frequently than stainless.

Don- Most if not all of their knives are beveled on both sides. This place carries a few; there might be otheres out there.

j- Use your 240mm on a bunch of long, narrow vegs that need to be cut or sliced but where fine precision cutting isn't necessary - celery or carrots for stock, say, or leeks for a sauté, or trimming the ends from a whole pile of asparagus. You'll get more used to it that way, but unless your hands are especially large it is not likely to become a go-to knife.

Back