Which way to do my butts?-

Well it's 12:30 and both of the butts are on and the temps in the WSM are still climbing.
Looks like I should be fine time wise, or at least I hope.

It isn't too cold here but the rain is quite a pain. I have acanopy that I have set up over the WSM, seem to working fine. But I don't think I'll be getting the smell of smoke out of it anytime soon.

Well almost 7 hours in, the temps are around 165, and all is looking well. Had alittle trouble keeping temps up during the night so I may be behind schedule. But they look good to me.
Not sure why I had trouble with the temps during the night, but it was rainy and cold all night. I think some water got in the charcoal before I got the canopy up. At about 6am the temps were holding steady at 228, with all the vents open. Now I am up to 250, which is where I'm wanting to be at least for now.
Here's how they look so far

sorry about the blurry picture it's a little cold

If you're really behind in your schedule, you can always leave your vent's open and stir the coals around a little bit to get rid of some of the ash in hope's of raising the temp a little higher.

Thanks to everyone for your advise on my Saturday cook. Here's the summary.
I still don't know if it was the charcoal I was using or if it had gotten wet, but with the first batch of charcoal I couldn't get over 230, I had mixed the coals and even then it wouldn't get any hotter. I added a chimney full of lit coal around 7:30 am to raise up temps. Around 8:30 I decided to wrap both in foil since most parts were holding steady between 165 and 175.
I had some trouble getting a good temperature reading on the smaller butt, one of the muscles pulled away from the bone section so it was cooking faster than the rest of the butt.
When that section was just around 195 I pulled the small butt, that was about 10:00. I pulled the larger one about 11:30. I was easier to measure, it was between 195 and 205 everywhere. I wrapped both in foil and towels and put them in the cooler to await pulling.
The stayed in the cooler until 3:00 and were still quite hot at that point. The larger one which I let get to a higher temp pulled easier and was jucier than the smaller one, so I'll use that as as a learning experience.
Everyone raved about the finished product, and my dad is planning to try a pork butt on his propane smoker.
Once again thanks for everyones help and input.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ERIK MITCHELL:
Well almost 7 hours in, the temps are around 165, and all is looking well. Had alittle trouble keeping temps up during the night so I may be behind schedule. But they look good to me.
Not sure why I had trouble with the temps during the night, but it was rainy and cold all night. I think some water got in the charcoal before I got the canopy up. At about 6am the temps were holding steady at 228, with all the vents open. Now I am up to 250, which is where I'm wanting to be at least for now.
Here's how they look so far

sorry about the blurry picture it's a little cold </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did they come out? What time did you end up pulling them off of the WSM?

Michael

Back