Which to keep?

Tom Schwartzman

I have a Spirit 900 (red) which I bought in 1997 - still in great shape, some replacement parts along the way, works a charm.

I acquired (for $0) a 2013 Spirit E-310 (black) recently which I am cleaning up. Quite a few years of baked on grease etc, but it's back to working well with some new burners and I will soon order some new grates as well.

The question is which should I keep? My initial thought was the front-to-back burner setup of the E-310 is an advantage in terms of having hot and warm zones, something harder to do with the side-to-side burners of the 900. If I'm honest though not sure how much I "use" or would use that concept (two zones). The E-310 has some small rust inside the cabinet but nothing terrible.

900: 33,000 btu, E-310 32,000 btu (insignificant I think)

Not sure what to keep and what to pass along. I welcome any thoughts.

Thanks,

Tom (new member)

I think the Spirit 900 is the same internal size as a Genesis Silver B 2000+ so there is lots of availability of parts and it is a solid east-west three burner grill. I cooked on a Silver B for 20 years and it is currently in storage for one of my kids.

I've never cooked on a Spirit 310 so I can't comment there.

You'll get a fair share of opinions on the east-west / aka side-to-side / aka side controls vs north south aka front control grills

As far as which one to keep... why not both ?

And maybe add a kettle :D

I say keep the classic rather than the ho-hum, run of the mill, newer Weber. And I agree with Bruce that if given some TLC now it will be around long after the Spirit has been pushed out to the road.

Keep the older one, clean up a bit more and sell the new Spirit to buy parts and possibly upgrades to the older one. My Dad had a Spirit that was a very early 2000s or late 90s model that he left at a house they sold in Kansas back in 2013. To this day I'm still mad at myself for not claiming it and keeping it.

Keep the older one, clean up a bit more and sell the new Spirit to buy parts and possibly upgrades to the older one. My Dad had a Spirit that was a very early 2000s or late 90s model that he left at a house they sold in Kansas back in 2013. To this day I'm still mad at myself for not claiming it and keeping it.
Oh, and to add to that... My parent's home in Oklahoma is currently on the market and he had a 2014 model Spirit there that I let go in the estate sale. To give you full perspective on my thoughts about the 2 grills. lol

Keep both. If not an option, keep the older one. I don’t know about you, but if I have something for 25 years, it’s been a workhorse for me and I just keep that stuff around.

The spirit 700 which we bought new in 1994 still works as well as it did back then.
It and also your 900 have the advantage of looking like a gen 000 and being able to use gen silver, gold, etc. internals which more readily available.

Back