Which one to get?!

Preston Bakic

Its a tough decision with all the options! I would like to get the pros input on the best ATC for me and my uses.

This is what I would like:
Compatibility with my WSM 18.5 and my future 22.5 ;-)
Compatibility with iOS and Apple.
Wi-Fi, not just Ad-hoc connectivity
Can not break the bank...I am still on a budget here!

I am thinking the CyberQ II but can't wrap my head around how to get it connected for wireless control.

Thanks!

It looks like you've done your homework.

When you say "wireless control" what do you want to accomplish?

It looks like you've done your homework.

When you say "wireless control" what do you want to accomplish?

I would like to be able to go to the store, bed, church, etc. and know whats going on with my pits and make an adjustment if needed from my iPhone/iPad.

I'm not sure I can recommend going to the store, church, etc while operating a fire. I recommend getting a glass of bourbon over ice and a cigar and sit and wait while monitoring the progress. I can even understand monitoring from the front room while watchin a game or even going to bed if your monitor has an alarm. But leave the house while cooking? Is that a good idea?

I'm not sure I can recommend going to the store, church, etc while operating a fire. I recommend getting a glass of bourbon over ice and a cigar and sit and wait while monitoring the progress. I can even understand monitoring from the front room while watchin a game or even going to bed if your monitor has an alarm. But leave the house while cooking? Is that a good idea?

I may have to leave, doesn't mean that the pit goes unattended. Thanks for the concern but I got that part figured out, now I'm trying to figure out the ATC.

Stoker. They are more expensive but they'll handle everything you want to do, including essentially limitless addition of cookers (with the right accessories, of course).

Another recommendation for Stoker.

I have the older version (non-wireless) so at home, I use a wireless bridge to get the Stoker connected to my home network. That way if I go to a friend's house to go swim, I can set up StokerLog to send me text messages every 15 minutes (with the graph). That way I can stay informed as to how the cook is going. My smoker is a clone of a Stumps Smoker, so if my fire were to go out, the smoker will drop very slowly in temp. So I'd have plenty of time to get home and take care of the fire before it becomes an issue with the food in the smoker.

I've also had to use the "Keep Warm" function when I had a cook going but we went out to the bars for awhile. I had one of the meats selected for the Keep Warm function so when it hit it's target temp, StokerLog would then change the target temp of the smoker to 190 to just hold the meat till I got home. Worked out great!

My Fireman son would agree with you (he also tells me the 1,200 lbs of charcoal in my garage is a MAJOR fire hazard), however this hasn't kept his old man from doing all of the above :( hell, add movies, golf and car wash to your list.

Regarding the unit, I have a Stoker, have for about 4 years now and I love it, however last I checked they're probably the most expensive. I think all the units are pretty comparable these days. I'm a PC guy so Stokerlog works great for me, don't know much about Apple compatibility, have an iPad 3 but never tried using it with the Stoker.

I have neither but want a ATC almost as much as I wanted my wsm. I've been looking into them for awhile and I like all the options available to you that come with the stoker. Especially the limitless probes and pit possibilities. But you do pay for that.

I have both the Stoker Wifi and the CyberQ Wifi units. The Stoker works fine but drops the Wifi connection constantly. If hard wired to my router everything is fine. The CyberQ Wifi only connects wirelessly but I have never had it drop out. I also like the damper that is built in to the blower unit. Check my website for a graph of the last cook using the CyberQ.
http://joespage.net/olsmokey

Good luck
Joe

Back