Which lump?

Royal Oak. It gives a good smoke flavor and it's available. Doesn't burn the longest or produce the least ash, but I tried several others, even several exotic brands, but I like lump made from good old oak and hickory the best. I know there's other oak/hickory lump that are good too. Royal Oak is easily available for me though.

I llike Royal oak, and particularly like B&B Expert's Choice and Ozark Oak. My new favorite though is Wicked Good's Competition Blend. It ain't cheap and there's shipping to pay but it burns hot, there's little powder or small junk in the bags, and there's less ash than others. I really recommend it.

Check it out: http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/ These guys carry OO and B&B as well.

I use either Big Green Egg or Peoples Generic. People's generic tends to burn longer but both are extremely consistent predictable burns. Around here it's kind of pricy ($13) but what do you expect from MA?

I haven't seen any others for sale locally so I haven't tried them.

If you're interested in trying WGC, email me. I have a stash which is more than I wanted. I'm headed over to Charlotte in a couple weeks and could arrange for a pickup.

I was very happy with Royal Oak. Nice, consistent and fairly long burn time. I tried a bag of Cowboy brand lump from Trader Joe's this weekend, and I'm not at all impressed. I was doing three slabs of ribs and a bunch of chicken parts. I started with 3/4 of a ring, and by hour three I had to light another chimney because the lump was burning out.

Has anyone tried the Royal Oak briquettes? If so, how does it compare to Kingsford?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I use Maple Leaf lump. The only problem I occasionally have is you'll get a small log rolling out of the bag. This is fine for a big firebox but it's not so practical on the WSM.

Bryan P, I bought a bag of Royal Oak briquettes a while back but it's sitting at the back of the shelf because I fell in love with Maple Leaf briqs and stocked up on them instead.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan Pettiford:
Has anyone tried the Royal Oak briquettes? If so, how does it compare to Kingsford?
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just finished a bag, couldn't tell any difference from Kingsford.

Royal Oak from Wally World Garden section.
10 pounds $5.97

Clean large chunks slow burning and great light smoky taste........ or add a chunk of hickory !

Back