Which is the best wood to use

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have access to a wide variety of woods (BBQ Galore) and everyone has their own taste for wood, but I would like to know which is a good all around wood that I can use on all meats that most people (guest) will appreciate. I know hickory is widely available, but with hickory I find that you have to use the proper amount (which I havent't been able to figure out) else your meat can be on the bitter side or not enough smoke flavor and it makes my ribs taste a little like bacon. I don't really want to do a lot of experimenting with the different types of wood, because I'm not so sure I would be a good judge. I would really just like to have one wood that will be a great choice in most instances. Thanks in advance.

According to the poll we ran on "most versatile smoke wood" in the Polls Forum, apple and oak are tied. Actually, apple got one more vote than oak. Either would be a good choice. I like oak for beef and apple for pork and chicken.

Have fun,
Chris

Hi Chris, Chris, and David,

I was in my mid 30's before I knew any wood other than hickory existed for Barbequing (that's what a lifetime in Alabama will do for you). I agree wholeheartedly with Chris A., but it has been fun for me to experiment. Lately I have used a lot of Pecan. Chris Taylor, if you are used to hickory, I think you will really enjoy the Pecan. It has a milder flavor than hickory however it is similar; just not so overpowering. For ribs I have been using 50/50% Pecan and Apple, and for butts 75/25%.

I hope this helps! Happy cooking!

A bit of experimentation won?t hurt.

Last year my plum tree needed some trimming. The wood made for a rib cook to remember. I am actually out of apple but have a pile of seasoned apple tree logs that need to be cut and split. Something to do today.

Instead of oak I removed a hickory last year (I think the tree was hickory but it was not shagbark and it does not overpower anything or impart any strong flavor) tree and use it for beef.

I mostly use Mesquite and Pecan, those are mostly available to me. I sometime like to throw in some hickory from time to time, but a little costly in my parts.

I would have to say oak if I were only able to pick one for versatility. My second choice would probably be apple expecially for pork. But Alder sure makes Salmon sing!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back