Which Grill would you choose? Wife gave the thumbs up to get a 3rd cooking device!

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Another performer vote! As davidb said, look at the signatures. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without a doubt I would get a performer if I could find one used for a good price. Not too many in my area to be had. Lots of OTG's to be found for $50 and under which is why I have lots
icon_smile.gif

If you're comparing buying a new OTG or a performer, that's where I can't justify the price difference.

Buy a Performer. Visitors to my home are amazed at the ease of charcoal cooking with a Performer.

Sure, you could use a weed burner, or propane torch, or a chimney, or firestarters. They each function well to ignite a fire. But, with a Performer, it is all built in. Twist a knob, hit the igniter button, and go about your other cooking prep.

No one has ever commented "yeah, the Performer is nice, but it just isn't quite big enough to cook everything all at once."

BTW, I have over a dozen Performers in my farm system right now. And those friends and family are improving their grilling skills faster than the OTS or OTG users in my farm system. Simplifying the ease of using charcoal helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have over a dozen Performers in my farm system right now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Doug,
I want to be in your farm system.
icon_biggrin.gif

wsmsmile8gm.gif

************************************************************************************************

Posted August 31, 2010 11:47 AM Hide Post
I was all set to buy the 26.75, but saw reviews on Amazon saying that the legs are flimsy and that there were fears about them holding up under the heavier grill.

Should I be concerned or just go for it?

************************************************************************************************

I have posted before about my likes and complaints regarding my Webers. I truly like them a lot, but there are times when I am disappointed. I feel like I am more willing than others here to give constructive criticism on Weber's grills.

I have the 26.75 grill. I took it to a picnic and dragged it across a long grass lawn. I dragged it by its handle, using the wheels to bare the weight and roll it along. . The legs themselves stood up to this fine. However, the flanges where the legs mount to the kettle bottom bent backward under the strain of pulling over the grass. I ended up with a grill grate that tilted backward about 3 inches. Using a rubber mallet, I had to poundethem back as close as I could to their original tri-pod angles.

Long story short... I do not consider the legs themselves to be the weakest part of the grill. THose flanges were the weak spot, even though they appear to be made out of the same metal the kettle is made of.

I think a Q220 will be on my Christmas list. While I prefer charcoal, the ease of use of a portable gas grill on the road is great, and would round out my collection.

Kettle26, WSM18, SJS, a very lonely generic gasser.

if you get the performer you may decide to ditch the gas, but in all honesty for me I have both performer-gold models and would be happy with either unless you need a work space then performer all the way...

One of the major pluses for me using a Performer over the conventional OTS i had before is the worktable that comes with it because it sits close to the lip of the kettle, it's very easy to slip hot or flimsey foods on and off the grill.It's best to use a wooden chopping board on the table for very hot pans and trays though.
I have also found that another big plus is because the Performer is built into a cart, it stands a lot higher than a standard kettle and is more easier on the back and a lot easier to move around if you need to reposition it due to wind/rain or storage.I've had to do this a few times while cooking was in progress and never disturbed a thing because I didn't have to tilt the kettle from the front leg.
The other useful feature for me is the storage unit....i've got all my immediate bags of charcoal, smoking woods etc in there and ready at hand.
I'm not real keen on the gas lighting system though as we have to use those stupid little gas canisters here in Australia and for $13 per cyclinder,I just use firelighters and a match to lite them....easy and cheap.
I would vote hands down for the performer and if anything ever happens to this baby..I'd be getting another..no doubt about it!!
We don't get the 16.75 kettle down here but i wish we did...i'd have one of those too.

Cheers

Davo

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I ended up getting a Performer due to the table and lighting feature.

I ordered from Amazon and got the 2 day shipping with prime, which was nice. I assembled it in roughly 45 minutes and it was a breeze, although they left out the clip that secures the propane line to the grill
icon_mad.gif

After a call to Weber CS, I expect to see the clip in 2-3 weeks (they are doing inventory right now and I was told not to expect it...)

Another weird thing is that the Performer was made in 2007. I dont know if this is typical from all stores, although it doesn't bother me.

My first cook on the Performer (with a chimney starter and lump) was 2 USDA Prime ribeyes from Costco. I can tell you that having never seriously cooked on charcoal, I am now officially a charcoal snob! It was amazing and as good as a prime ribeye from Flemings.

I don't know if I will ever use my Genesis Silver again!

Thanks again,
Fred

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Another weird thing is that the Performer was made in 2007. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with George. I would let Weber CS know. It could effect your warranty.

Congrats on the new performer. Got mine this past spring and love it. The gasser has been relegated to side dishes and keeping things warm. Enjoy!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
Say it with me 26.75! If you cook your entire meal or most of it the majority of the time and you cook for more than 3 most of the time you will enjoy the room! This will be my next purchase without a doubt! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Glenn said!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FredDeGrandisJr:
Here is the grill that I have:
http://www.weber.com/explore/G...s.aspx?glid=4&mid=25

and I saw this one at Home Depot today:
http://www.weberperformergrill...oalGrill_841001A.jpg

I kinda dig the latter more than the one I got from Amazon.

I will call Weber CS and make sure that my warranty starts from the day I registered and not from 2007.

Thanks again guys,
Fred </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the wheels on the older model but prefer the darker table on the newer ones.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back