Which Grate?

Elliot Grossman

I thinking of buying a Genesis E320. It comes with either the cast iron, porcelain or stainless steel grate. Which would is recommended?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
I've got the porcelain coated cast iron on my '08 Genesis E310. Love them! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a fan of the porcelain coated. Much of the benefits of the cast iron, without the care and feeding - although that's not too terrible.

I really like the cast iron grate in my Q200, all of my future grills will use cast iron. It gets hot, retains heat, and imparts nice sear marks.

However, even though it is porcelin coated like all Weber CI grates, my Q200 got some surface rust during December/January while it sat outside without a cover. About 15 minutes with a stainless brush cleaned it up (I probably could have skipped this, but I also wanted to clean up some gunk between the bars). I sprayed on some canola oil and let it heat up for 15 minutes. After that it was back to normal.

My vote goes to the porcelain coated cast iron. They really hold the heat and sear wonderfully.

Ray

I've got SS in my gasser and I love them. I've got a picture around here somewhere.

steaksonnewssgrates013.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-04-02

I've got cast iron and pcci as well. I don't think you can make a bad decision on any of those options.

I think if I had to pick just one surface forever, I would go with SS rods (pictured) just because they are easiest and will never need to be replaced no matter how much I neglect them.

Hey Elliot,

I have SS on my ep-310 and I find no faults with them in any aspect of my cooking.

New Gennys cost about $50.00 more for SS grates AND SS flavorbars. If you were to replace the grates and flavors with aftermarket SS it would cost you two to three times as much even from Weber. Just something to consider. The SS flavorbars are worth it alone.

Enjoy the quest,

From one elliot to another

If the up front $50 is not an issue, I would agree. I have and like the PCI grates, but when they go I'll replace with SS. If I had SS now, I would probably never have to replace them and the PCI are much less expensive to add on.

And btw, there are a couple of good after market SS grates for the Weber's available on eBay.

Rich

I like plain cast iron first, SS second.

Cast iron for the reasons already mentioned, and SS also for the same reasons mentioned.

In the long run they both last a long time and clean easily. Cast iron just wire brush while they are still hot and wipe down with some canola as above.

If you want to strip them then spray with oven cleaner and put in a plastic bag over night and most of it will rinse off, might have to touch with a brush. Re-season and then ready. You really don't have to do this often at all. If they get light rust on occasion just wire brush it wipe a few times with canola an fire up. They will season themselves. Been using my Craycourt CI on the Performer since I bought them in June 2009. I've never stripped them.

I like the way stainless cleans up and holds up.

Porcelain is really cool when new. I had a set that I used for a number of years. If they get chipped or develop pin holes after a few years they will rust and once that happens they are a PIA.

That said, any one of the 3 will work fine. Just comes down to preference. I'm an admitted CI bigot though because of the heat retention and searing/marks. Seasoned right they are pretty much non stick, but so are the other choices. If I can't get it in CI then SS would be my next choice is all.

None of the three would be a "mistake" though IMHO.

Back