Which grate lifter for Weber 9mm stainless steel grates?

There are lots of grate lifter tools advertised on the web. Can someone recommend one that works on the Weber 9mm SS grates? The gap between bars is only about 3/8", and they are quite heavy. I'm concerned that some of these tools might not fit the gap, and others might bend under the weight.

This is what I use on my BGE...you can bend the fingers to fit between the rods (check this). It's called a cultivator. I bought a cheap one from the local hardware store.

Attachments

• 51-b4ehbDcL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    51-b4ehbDcL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 4
Not sure which one is best but I use a Napoleon one because it was on clearance for $4 at home depot. It fits tight rods regardless of thickness. I guess it was intended for napoleon wave grids. It also works on hot grates. Only down side is that it's made of painted steel parts, so it's not rust resistant.

I believe the Broil King one will do the same job.

Thanks for the suggestions. But I'm looking for something that will grab and balance the grates securely. These 9mm puppies are really heavy. Dropping one of them could do some real damage - to the grill, or my fingers. I may need to fabricate something from scratch parts. If I go that route, I'll post a photo of my solution.

I just use a good pair of tongs. If they're cold I just pick them up. When they're hot I never remove them I only lift and slide with my tongs. There is no little "tool" that can actually fully lift one and remove it

Man, I went through most of the stages when I lost John Wayne! I was furious with myself, then I found it and did a pee pee dance! Just installed it last week, I’ll send updated windscreen pictures when I get the WSM out for the next cook.

When smoking ribs, I sometimes need to lift a hot grate to swap in a new foil pack of wood chips. These 9mm SS grates weigh 11 lbs each, so I want a sure grip with something sturdy. Ed's suggestion (bending the prongs of a cultivator) might work. I was planning to fabricate something similar from metal scraps, when I discovered this product from M Grills:

https://mgrills.com/products/grill-grid-lifting-tools

Does the job well. Won't bend, break, or slip. A bit pricy, though.

I don't know if you can still find these somewhere, or a competing brand, or not:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EO0XTU/?tag=tvwb-20

View attachment 24934
I saw this (the photo above) under the Big Green Egg section at Luxe BBQ here in Winnipeg. I was looking for a grate lifter. I tried out Broil King’s 2 offerings, Napoleon and even the one you have in the photo above. Since Weber doesn’t sell a grate lifter in North America, I settled on Kamado Joe’s grippers and they only cost me $14. I liked the way these ones worked the best out of all the options I tried.

BCD83188-CE67-40E2-A9F0-A65ABD0C189B.jpeg

Back