Which bbq grill ?

If I were buying a gas grill (which I'm not), I would probably have go with the Genesis S-330 or EP-330. Both have the stainless steel guts. I think the sear burner would help with high temp grilling.

Harold as awesome as that would be those would be around 1000 dollars and I'm 23 with my first kid due in September and on my second house payment ever ha ha we want affordable and longevity and weber.

Personally I'd look at the Q series. For 2 -6 people I'd recommend a Q2200. Solid Weber performance at a much nicer price point than a Genesis and a much smaller foot print. Plus it's portable if you ever go camping or tailgate etc.....I'd take a Q over the Spirit line any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays ;).

For 2 - 6 people a Genny is a lot of grill space to have, more propane/NG to burn and more space to occupy. If NG is your move, look a the NG Q3200, about half the price of a new Genny and IMHO every bit as good a grill. If lacks the lid height if doing full birds is your thing but for standard grilling and smaller indirect setups, the Q series is awesome.

Having said that if the right CL find appears for an older Genny or Summit or even a nice 1000 etc......grab it. I'd argue better quality than what Weber builds today and they can be found with a little patience everywhere.

Last edited:
As Jerry said, I would get the Genesis S 330. I purchased one last year and love that the burners run N/S. It also has a fourth "sear burner". I love this grell and how easy and efficient it is.
Ray

I would not limit myself to just Weber BTW. As I accidentally discovered there are "gems" out there with names not well known one of the best of which I found out is Broilmaster (not to be confused with Broil King or Broil Mate). I wish I could figure out how to EASILY post photos on this site but really had I had the chance to actually use the Broilmaster along side the Genesis I bought some 22 years ago I would have bought the Broilmaster. Yeah it's THAT good. I know they don't look like much. Just 2 burners, no shelves, no bells and whistles (everything is optional) and such a simple no nonsense design and it leaves you scratching your head. I managed to get the one I have for free. Figuring I would clean it up and flip it. No "FFFFing" way now. I used it and since than my Summit and Wolf have been left gathering dust except for extra space type cooking or if I am using smoke (i.e. ribs) and doing potatoes or veg and I dislike the taste of smoke in them. For instance here is an old war horse http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/for/4475974344.html and a little refinishing it is a grill that for actual "cooking/grilling" will surprise you like you cannot believe.
Before the flames (no pun intended) begin first let me disclose I am still a HUGE Weber fan still believing at the price point it's hard (if not impossible) to find a better product. Though now that Weber is becoming more of a "high priced spread" really high quality high performance product like the Broilmaster becomes more attractive.
I honestly don't know why or how it performs like it does but if you find one grab it.
I am polishing the Wolf off for weekend duty coming up. I will be cooking for a a HUGE crowd (Grandson's 4th birthday) on Sunday so the Wolf will be pressed into service along side the Broilmaster.
Anyway not trying to steer you away from a Genesis just opening your eyes that some real treasures can be had CHEAP because someone may not even know what they have. Examples, the Wolf (huge 6 burner with IR rotisserie and fully welded 304 SS cart) $150. BTW I priced this unit and it was well north of $10k new. Broilmaster free. Only real expenditure was $22 shipping for a burner and grates (warrantied by Broilmaster) and a hug-a-rack rotisserie I ordered from Ebay for $75. The Summit was picked up for only $50. I bought some parts for it (crossover burners and ignitors) and that was it. I was able to find some other parts and accessories here an there. It really is a nice grill, but sadly the front lower portion of the "oven" is rusting out and Weber does not make parts. I may see if I can have a piece of SS made to replace it as I do enjoy it overall. My Genesis was bought new and was about $500 22 years ago. Brother is currently using it.
Thankfully I have an understanding wife ;-)

Last edited:
Harold as awesome as that would be those would be around 1000 dollars and I'm 23 with my first kid due in September and on my second house payment ever ha ha we want affordable and longevity and weber.

In that case, I'd get a a One-Touch Gold 22 inch kettle and a charcoal chimney and a cover. It'll last for 10 years. Easy ash removal. Easy lighting. Will cook better than the $1000 gas grill.

It would cook different not necessarily "better". Charcoal is great to be sure but not necessarily a "better" choice just different strokes

+1 On the S330. Bought one a couple of weeks ago and am amazed at how it cooks. Still have an 18.5" kettle and gonna restore a 22.5" kettle and make it a pizza oven. But the genny is the bomb.

I bought a 22 inch kettle off a guy on here put new grates in it and cleaned it up and have cooked meals on it almost every day made some amazing meals but gas grills are so much easier and quicker to cook on and honestly cook better in my opinion due to you controlling the temperature I'll keep the kettle but it takes so much longer to grill with charcoal compare to gas a lot more mess to clean up and living in town hard to find place to dumb charcoal and it gets expensive since I refuse to buy anything but kingsford

Oh boy no wonder you hate using charcoal. Kingsford is like eating food cooked over crude oil. Buy yourself some REAL charcoal. Hardwood lump. Lights fast, burns clean, leaves very little ash. Also does not give food an off flavor. Light it in a chimney no fluid just news paper and you may love cooking over coals more than you think but NEVER put anything over a Kingsford fire YEEEEEEEEEECH!

Oh boy no wonder you hate using charcoal. Kingsford is like eating food cooked over crude oil. Buy yourself some REAL charcoal. Hardwood lump. Lights fast, burns clean, leaves very little ash. Also does not give food an off flavor. Light it in a chimney no fluid just news paper and you may love cooking over coals more than you think but NEVER put anything over a Kingsford fire YEEEEEEEEEECH!

I find that statement very odd seeing that the vast majority of the folks on this forum use Kingsford and buy it by the truck load. If it was as bad as you think it is that wouldn’t be the case as many of these folks on here are way past the level of the backyard griller and still seem to use Kingsford with excellent results.
I’ve tried various lump, Stubbs, Royal Oak. Cowboy Etc.. Except for burn time and amount of heat output I can’t see to much difference in flavor.

Sorry but I sure can. I can smell Kingsford from a long way off. Even without fluid on it it smells of petroleum to me. Food cooked over it has that same smell/taste. IMO just because people buy something does not make it good. It's pretty cheap and IMO this is one reason to use it, but for food I care about eating no way. Can't stand the smell. Also with all the mastic, and coal in it along with other weird binder ingredients I don't want that stuff on my food. Sorry not flaming just stating what my experience is with the stuff.

I did a little checking.
Propane is MUCH more expensive to use than charcoal. Assuming you stock up on Kingsford blue during this time of year, it costs $0.25 per pound and gives 9,000 BTU's per pound.
Propane refills (cheaper than exchange) cost $3.89/lb here. Propane gives you 21,548 BTU's/lb.
So, if my math is correct:
$1.00 worth of propane gives you 5,539 BTU's
$1.00 worth of charcoal gives you 36,000 BTU's

Even if you don't buy it on sale, or even if you buy lump, charcoal is still considerably cheaper than propane.

Are you using a chimney starter to start the charcoal? It's the fastest way I've tried.
Also, are you closing off the vents after you cook? This allows you to recycle the charcoal for next time.

I did a little checking.
Propane is MUCH more expensive to use than charcoal. Assuming you stock up on Kingsford blue during this time of year, it costs $0.25 per pound and gives 9,000 BTU's per pound.
Propane refills (cheaper than exchange) cost $3.89/lb here. Propane gives you 21,548 BTU's/lb.

Even if you don't buy it on sale, or even if you buy lump, charcoal is still considerably cheaper than propane.

Are you using a chimney starter to start the charcoal? It's the fastest way I've tried.
Also, are you closing off the vents after you cook? This allows you to recycle the charcoal for next time.
Although the OP is set on a new gasser, I agree with this.

I have sinned terribly when I was younger and cooking with charcoal.
I would pile it high and torch it off with petroleum-based starting fluid....yikes !
Then I would merrily flip burgers and hot dogs over the inferno !

To top it off I have sent a perfectly good 22.5" and a Smokey Joe to the dump.
I hope someone rescued them.

Yes, I have sinned and I repent every day !
Getting a proper charcoal cooking education is a wonderful thing.

I did a little checking.

Wow! What a difference you pay 3.89lb and I get my empty 20lb bottles filled at Costco for under $10.00

I can cook very we'll with charcoal or gas and do not need any sort of education on any type of cooking I do use a chimney starter and use the bare minimum to cook what I have to cook I cook indirectly for the most part and charcoal is more expensive despite what ever math you just did a 20lb bag of charcoal cost 9.99 unless you get it on sell and it's still 6.50 plus tax per 20 pound bag and that last 5 to ten meals and a 20 pound bottle of propane will last you grilling for months... The simple fact is charcoal adds time to my cook and I don't want it any more except for my smoker ! However none of that matters I pick up my NATURAL GAS weber genesis tonight after work !

"I have sinned terribly when I was younger and cooking with charcoal.
I would pile it high and torch it off with petroleum-based starting fluid....yikes !
Then I would merrily flip burgers and hot dogs over the inferno !

To top it off I have sent a perfectly good 22.5" and a Smokey Joe to the dump.
I hope someone rescued them.

Yes, I have sinned and I repent every day !"

For your penance my son, say 6 Hail Marys' 10 Our Fathers' and the Rosary 5 times :)

Back