Which Automatc Temp Control should I Buy?

Hi. Just remembered the link below I think you'll find really helpful. It's a very well written article on the CyberQ Wifi over on NakedWhiz. The network connectivity setup process is on page 4. Steph, you can ignore the section about IP redirection (the more complex part) if you don't intend to try to connect on your phone away from your home network.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/cyberqwifi/cqwf1.htm

I am so appreciative of everyone's help. You have all given me much to think about. Please keep an eye on this thread. I'm not a paralysis by analysis type....but I DO like to feel like I'm making an informed decision. Thanks to all of you good folks I have no doubt that I will make a choice that works for me.

My question is which automatic temperature control unit should I buy? First of all I've never used one and don't know a lot about them....only what I've seen on tv and read on this board. I am convinced that ATC's are VERY important to making consistently great BBQ when it comes to large cuts of meat.

1. I use a WSM 22.5.
I too use a 22.5" WSM
2. I do use water in the pan...Does an ATC mean I have to stop and start cooking with no water? If so, why?
I also use water in the water pan. You do not have to stop using water in the pan. BBQ Guru does say that you don't need to use it any longer, however, it basically comes down to personal preference. I decided to stop using water in the pan. Like others on the board, I got tired of messing with greasy water afterwards.
3. As a wise man once said "A man has got to know his limitations" so I don't mind hiring someone who is VERY competent with a drill to drill a hole in my unit to run chords (if anybody in the Middle Tennessee area is up for a little extra cash).
It is a very easy and simple process. However, if you feel more comfortable with someone else doing it, then by all means feel free as you have to do what makes you happy. I will add that unless you currently use or plan to use a Maverick 732, you can just use the current brace support holes on your WSM and install the grommets from the Cajun Bandit in the 1/4" size. I have provided the link below.
http://cajunbandit.com/wsm-parts-mods/

4. I do have a Droid phone and love the idea of having pit temp data sent to the phone. However, I'm about to ditch the smart phone and plan to go back to the flip phone. Will a flip phone be able to receive that kind of data?
I doubt it, but I guess it all depends on the flip phone. However, if you're not a techie, then you probably won't miss that feature anyway.
5. Do ATC's run on batteries or can you use an extension chord? I almost always cook at home with access to an outdoor power outlet but what if I go to a local competition or cookout and don't have access to an outdoor outlet....then what?
I have the BBQ Guru DX2 and have access to an outdoor outlet on my patio. I use an extension cord and run it to my WSM during cooks so that I don't clutter up the entryway by my patio door. The nice feature that the DX2 has is that it can also run off of batteries if you should ever want to use your WSM while camping or during a BBQ competition that does not provide with you access to electricity.
6. I am seriously considering buying an additional WSM so l like the idea of a Stoker being able to run several pits at once but hey, I can just as easily buy additional Digiq's. or Party Q's, or Guru's etc.
The BBQ Guru Cyber Q can control multiple pits
http://www.thebbqguru.com/PDF/BBQ-Control-Comparison.pdf

7. I am not a techie. I have heard that Stokers are VERY complex. If that is true then that likely is not an option.
When I was researching the ATC's I considered the Pitmaster IQue 110, the BBQ Guru's DX2 and CyberQ models, and the Stoker line. While I am a techie at heart and love the new gadgets and apps and so forth, I immediately removed the Stoker's out from my consideration due to what I felt was a too complex setup that also offered many unnecessary features for my personal preference. So I think that you and I are on the same boat and want to keep things more simple. BBQ is meant to be simple and I think that sometimes there are things that just overcomplicate it. IMHO a stoker would do just that. I also did not like the reviews and things I read about the Pitmaster iQue 110. While it definitely seems like a simple and effective device that many people have had great success with, it appears that there are several people that mention their pit temps are not running at the temp which it is set for on the unit. I understand that no ATC will be EXACT when it comes to maintaining the temp, BUT there are some units that offer a more precise amount of variance and control. For me, having a unit be 10-12 degrees out of range of the temp was just not cutting it. I also didn't like that the control unit and fan were all in one system as well as not being waterproof. In case of a problem or need to send in for repair, I didn't want to send in the whole unit and be without.
So which ATC should I go with?....Thanks in advance.

My ATC choice was the BBQ Guru DX2. I wanted a device that was built well, wasn't overly complicated, maintained pit temps with great accuracy and had great customer service. I chose it over the CyberQ because my cooking needs did not require the extra pit probes and I personally found all the extra bells and whistles to be unnecessary. I received a Maverick 732 unit last year for Christmas so I was already capable of wirelessly monitoring my pit and food temps from within my home and receive alerts during my cooks
I hope my feedback helps you make a great decision. I am not knocking the Stoker's or the iQue110 as I am sure they are great units and will produce some great BBQ. This was just my personal preference for my style of cooking.

Do you have any interest in DIY? The Linkmeter/Heatermeter is a great project. ( http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-LinkMeter-v2-Homebrew-BBQ-Controller )
The hardware really isn't difficult to assemble, and the flexibility is endless. It can be as simple as set-n-forget, or you can tweak every last setting, wi-fi, remote control from practically any phone and graph to your hearts content. I love mine.

Take a look at the forum ask around and see if it sparks an interest.

Careful Steph, you sure you wanna enter the "no cook club" since your using a ATC?

Seriously though, I've had the DigiqII for several months and it's been flawless. I use the 10cfm fan on my 18.5 wsm and its plenty. I also did what you are doing and grabbing advice on here from folks that have the experience using them. Anyway, good luck on your decision and let us know what you decide on.

FYI, just because you stop service on a smartphone doesn't mean you can't use it for monitoring or control. The smartphone will still be capable of browsing using your wifi connection. Also a lot of people focus on an internet enabled controller being able to be controller from a phone or PC but I think graphing cooks is the most interesting part. You can see what temperature the fat renders at as it remains at a constant temperature while doing so.

I agree that seeing a graph of the food and pit temps for the entire cook does add perspective, but being able leave the house, check and control the smoker temp/ATC is a new freedom. Smoking ribs, pork butt or brisket no longer means staying at the house all day.

I know that Neil was kidding about using an ATC and the "no cook club", but just to remind folks that even with an ATC you have to pick the meat, trim it, season it, prep the smoker, prep the ATC (a new skill), monitor and check for alarms, decide when the meat is done, sauce/finish it, then present it. An ATC only gives you a good nights sleep and if you setup WAN access, ability to do other things besides babysitting your smoker. Smoking pork is no longer an all day commitment.

Last edited:
Hi. Just remembered the link below I think you'll find really helpful. It's a very well written article on the CyberQ Wifi over on NakedWhiz. The network connectivity setup process is on page 4. Steph, you can ignore the section about IP redirection (the more complex part) if you don't intend to try to connect on your phone away from your home network.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/cyberqwifi/cqwf1.htm
Thanks for this link. I set my CyberQ up in 15 minutes using infrastructure mode and port forwarding.

My first cook with it was a pork butt set at 275, and it didn't vary more than 3 degrees through the whole time.

I am so appreciative of everyone's help. You have all given me much to think about. Please keep an eye on this thread. I'm not a paralysis by analysis type....but I DO like to feel like I'm making an informed decision. Thanks to all of you good folks I have no doubt that I will make a choice that works for me.

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the CyberQ Wifi for use on my new WSM 22.5" ! Can't wait to take it for a test drive. I've also downloaded the CyberQ Wifi Windows controller app. I'm a big advocate of keeping notes / records on my cooks and I see that this app builds a simple database - and voila - your cooking history at your fingertips.

What was/were the deciding factor(s)?

Well, there are several factors that I took into consideration:

1). I'm new to WSM, having come from a Cookshacke Smokette 009. I love the "set it and forget it" functionality of the Cookshack. Now, with the new ATC by BBQ Guru, it seems as if I can come close to to set it / forget it - and still have a true coal/wood fired fire. (By the way: I'm still a huge Cookshack fan - I know, I know.... "... the dark side..." and all that. :cool: )

2). The rave reviews I've read about this device. Yes, I'm a bit of a technogeek (.... in the IT field for 20+ years), so I'll enjoy that aspect of the device. Getting to configure both port forwarding AND an impeccable savory smoked crust in the same hobby?! What??!! :)

3). I work very close to home (I ride my bike to work - in about 90 seconds!) and the prospect of being able to put meat on the WSM (during the work week!) and be able to monitor it from right down the road is very enticiing. No longer will smoking become a Friday night - Sunday afternoon project.

Well, there are several factors that I took into consideration:

1). I'm new to WSM, having come from a Cookshacke Smokette 009. I love the "set it and forget it" functionality of the Cookshack. Now, with the new ATC by BBQ Guru, it seems as if I can come close to to set it / forget it - and still have a true coal/wood fired fire. (By the way: I'm still a huge Cookshack fan - I know, I know.... "... the dark side..." and all that. :cool: )

2). The rave reviews I've read about this device. Yes, I'm a bit of a technogeek (.... in the IT field for 20+ years), so I'll enjoy that aspect of the device. Getting to configure both port forwarding AND an impeccable savory smoked crust in the same hobby?! What??!! :)

3). I work very close to home (I ride my bike to work - in about 90 seconds!) and the prospect of being able to put meat on the WSM (during the work week!) and be able to monitor it from right down the road is very enticiing. No longer will smoking become a Friday night - Sunday afternoon project.

If you're a technogeek, then you might want to come on over to the HeaterMeter sub forum!

http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-LinkMeter-v2-Homebrew-BBQ-Controller

Hi Everyone. I'm back as ppromised to update all of you. After lots of consideration I have finally made a purchase. I bought the CyberQ WiFi along with the 1/4 inch gromets from CB. It arrived last week. Now all I have to do is figure this baby out. I am reconsidering my statement about ditching my smart phone. I have a Droid now, but I am beginning to think I should probably just go with the I-phone to get the most direct and fullest functionality from the CyberQ.

The first thing I noticed is that the pit sensor won't fit through the 1/4 inch gromet but you CAN get two meat probes through one gromet which is awesome. The only way I figure I can attach the pit temperature probe is to go under the dome top (crimp the chord) I could go through the top vent but then I will need to unattach and then reattach the pit temp sensor every time I go to spritz etc. etc. which is dicey. If there IS a method (that I am overlooking) to attach the pit temp sensor without crimping the chord then PLEASE let me know. I also have the CB aftermarket door so I"m not sure if ithe chord will slip through the CB door as I have heard others suggest doing with the factory door. Also, Is crimping the pit temperature probe chord (by running it under the dome lid) really that bad of a thing or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Many people cut a notch in the top. Just search the forum for "notch".

I have not yet put a grommet in my smoker or a notch. But, when I get around to it, I will be going with the notch. The reason why a notch is preferable is because when using it for food probes, you can remove the food from the smoker without removing the probe from the meat. With a pit probe, that's not so much an issue. But, my notch will be large enough to accommodate all of my probes. And, yes, I think crimping it will eventually destroy the probe.

Thanks Darren. This looks like a very good idea. I "think" I saw this on an episode of BBQ Pitmasters (looked like Harry Soo may have done this to one of his pits). Are you crimping your chord now? I keep my pit covered outside when not in use. My only concern would be how to plug and/or cover the notch when the pit is not in use. The cover is great, but when we have days of rain the atmosphere gets very moist. I would want to have a way of covering the notch itself to keep rust and mold from developing. Any thoughts on how to prevent or a least significantly minimize this? BTW I really like the notch concept.

I removed a bolt that holds the top rack and have been temporarily using it like a grommet while I decided how I wanted to do it permanently. I have decided on the notch. I just haven't done it yet. On my kettles with my old temperature gauge, I have passed the probe under the lid and allowed it to be somewhat crimped. And, I have had to purchase replacement probes for it. The lid on the WSM seems a good bit heavier than the kettles, though. And my new Maverick probes don't feel as sturdy as the old Thermoworks probes. So, I haven't been comfortable even trying crimping them. I contribute part of the reason the probe failed to crimping. That's my opinion anyway.

Great thread! I had decided to order the DigiQ 2x before starting this thread, but I'm now convinced that the CyberQ Wifi is the way to go for me. I love the idea of being able to monitor a long cook from work or while out running errands. I'm pretty psyched that I'll be able to cook for our Monday Night Football crew on Monday instead of cooking ahead on Sunday and reheating. Thanks for everyone's input!

Back