Where's the beef?

Gary Bramley

TVWBB Pro
I was running errands, and on my return trip home I decided to pick up a brisket for the weekend. I have a few places around town that I normally do my beef purchases, but on this day I was not near them. I stopped by Publix, Costco & Wallyworld, and IF they had a brisket they were the most pathetic flats. I went through two cases at costco and the best one was 1/2 an inch thick. What gives?

Gary

Gary, I know what you mean.
icon_mad.gif

That's crazy about Costco. I still have my brisket from them in the freezer. I should probably get it out and start thawing, i have a 4 day weekend.
icon_smile.gif

1/2 inch? That sounds like some serious trimming. About all that would be good for is cubing for chili, or maybe for burgers if you could get a fattier mix to add in.

Hang in there. Good luck!

I just have a guess. A lot of cattle feeding folks are having a difficult time making a profit with the high price of corn. Consequently, a lot of these cattle feeders are dumping unfinished (thin brisket) cattle on the market and getting out of the feeding business temporarily or permanently.

I just read an article about catfish farmers who can't afford corn or soybeans for feed as well.

When beef prices rise sufficiently (a lot), it will be more profitable to use high-price corn to finish cattle again.

One farmer I know purchases DG (distiller's grain) to blend together with his own farm grown corn in order to be able to finish off his cattle profitably. Not everyone has this luxury and you can't stay in the cattle business long if you aren't making a profit.

But, then, I'm just guessing...

D.L. I have heard what you speak of. If this is what we will be seeing.......

I have not been the purchaser in the past few months, and when I went to do the shopping for this weekend I could see the price differences. There appeared to be at least a dollar per lb increase across the board. Tri-tip, which is a novelty here, was $9 lb at my local grocery store.
icon_eek.gif
The saving grace is they are trimmed so pathetically that the sales price was $8.75.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Gary

Back