Where to purchase a Ceramic Disk

Brian_W

For my next butt, I'd like to try using a ceramic disk instead of using water in the water bowl. My friend tell me that less fuel is used since the bottom vents are almost closed. I was told to look at ACE, but when I said the word ceramic in the same sentence as cooking, the not so helpful hardware man took me to see the ceramic egg cookers. If there is an available on line source, that would be great.

Brian, the ceramic dish is nothing more than the water catcher that a ceramic flower pot sits in. Any nursery or hardware store that has a nursery section should have one. You don't need to say anything about food when looking.

Mark

It's just your standard terracota clay flower pot saucer like below. Check your local Home Depot or Lowe's, but, this time of year, you'll probably have to go to a specialty Garden Center or nursery.

Link - Clay flower pot saucer at Home Depot

Don't want to start a fight with your friend but closing the vents doesn't save fuel. A fire needs oxygen to burn. To obtain a target temp takes X amount of air. Less air = lower temp, more air = higher temp. The amount of fuel burned is dependent on how long it takes to cook.

Brian,I got mine at Garden Ridge last year. Mine is huge,but works fine. Just foil the top before you cook over it.

Brian, many of us just use the stock pan with foil. No water or flower pot base. Just foil the bottom and then the top leaving a little air space in the top.

This is especially useful for high heat cooks.

John

Thanks for all the replies. I'm assuming I foil it and place it in the dry water pan. J Reyes - I'll keep your advice in mind next time I plan on a high heat cook. My last butt cook ended at 11 pm so it was too dark for pictures. I promise to post some of the next butt cook using the clay saucer.

I use both a pizza stone as a heat deflector, with a clay saucer sitting on the pizza stone. The ridges between the two, allow air flow and therefore the saucer doesn't get too hot.

This means the drippings falling into the saucer won't burn and give off smells.

Also, I replaced the bottom grill with a second top grill. The top grill is a bit wider. Instead of sitting on the ledge, it sits on the bolts. So for cooking on both grills, the pizza stone rests on the ledge and the saucer rests on the stone. the grill rests on the bolts, just an inch above that.

If only cooking on the top grill, which is what I normally do, the pizza stone and saucer rest on the bottom grill, which feels more secure.

Back