Where to find smoke wood in Seattle area

m raschko

TVWBB Member
I'm a newbie and I'll be getting my WSM in a couple weeks. I was wondering if someone can tell me where I can find smoke wood chunks in the Seattle area (eastside preferably). I've seen chips everywhere, but it seems that chunks are easier to deal with.

Thanks in advance,
-Michael

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the board. This place is an amazing resource and the folks on here are extremely willing to help.

I am not the seattle area either but I have done a lot of research on getting some wood chunks. Based on what I have read here I have ordered a few different types of chunks from Cabellas on the internet. If you go to their website, search for wood chunks. They have 10lb bags for about $8 and for orders under $25, the shipping is a flat $4.95. I think up to $50 is only $7.95.

Hope this helps.

Troy

The best wood is free wood. After that wonderful storm we had last winter, there are a whole bunch of knocked down trees and broken branches still being cleaned up. I'm sure you're like me and have driven past lots of potential sources. I stopped a few months ago and threw a 10' piece of maple in back of the jeep. It won't be fully seasoned until next year, but it's a start. I see lots of apple and pear trees around. If nothing else, the fruit farms probably have some blow downs you can have.

That said, I found an excellent Seattle area wood source! I picked up 20 pounds each of alder, apple and cherry wood from Joy & Ed, a family owned wood mill near the Southcenter Mall. Cost: $0.50 per pound. I found their advertisement on Craigslist.

This stuff is PRIME! Dried, cleaned and debarked fist sized chunks! Joy assured me that they have other wood types available. You will have to arrange for pick up. If you're local, it's well worth it. Give them a call at 206.243.6542

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C. Howlett:
That said, I found an excellent Seattle area wood source! I picked up 20 pounds each of alder, apple and cherry wood from Joy & Ed, a family owned wood mill near the Southcenter Mall. Cost: $0.50 per pound. I found their advertisement on Craigslist.

This stuff is PRIME! Dried, cleaned and debarked fist sized chunks! Joy assured me that they have other wood types available. You will have to arrange for pick up. If you're local, it's well worth it. Give them a call at 206.243.6542 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for that info! I've been trying to find smoke wood near here with no luck (besides buying the bags of chunks at HD, which gets expensive!) I'll have to check them out. Also, there's a place in Yakima that sells smoke wood online, and I believe you can buy it there, too. barbeque-wood.com

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by m raschko:
Thanks everyone! These are some great suggestions.

-Michael </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
By the way, from one Washingtonian to another, hope you enjoy the WSM. I've had mine for about two years and BBQ has gone from a hobby to an obsession!
Steve

I'm only too happy to pass on my humble knowlege. Considering the BABBQ Degree I've earned via correspondence primarily through this site, sharing my humble knowledge is the least I can do.

Steve? East Renton is close enough that I can almost hit it with a rock. Us local WSM owners should have a mass smoke out at some point before the end of summer! Gene Coulon Park anyone?

Finally, I REALLY enjoy smoking with fruit wood. I will happily trade some Hi-Mountain Buckboard Bacon cure for a healthy amount of plum and/or pear wood. I ordered enough of this cure to make 150 pounds of bacon and even my son can't go through that in a hurry.

I'm in Seatac. I basically use plum and apple salvaged from the neighborhood (I think there used to be a number of orchards out here...now under the flight paths and abandoned). Thanks for the Joy & Ed source. I'll be looking that up on Craigslist.

Jim

If you are near Woodinville WA, Sutters has woods, and BGE lump, McClendons has a pretty good Weber supply, Home Depot has Char-Broil chunks and Lowes has Cowboy chunks. There is also a guy in Redmond that sells Apple wood on Craigslist.

Steve Z- Thanks for mentioning the mill in Sea-Tac, I've seen their ads on CL and may have to give them a try.

Back