Where to buy pork belly in Seattle?

Sean Cunningham

I'd like to make bacon, and have the curing salts and maple sugar on hand (yum!).

I tried asking for Pork Belly at University Village QFC in Seattle, but received a pretty rude and unhelpful response.

Does anyone know a place in Seattle I could buy a pork belly?

Sean, I can only say, if you can find a hog farm or a Mom and Pop shop that does their own butchering, that's where I would first look. The phone, and phone book, might be your best bet. Look under Meats and also Butchering. Make some calls, someone should be able to steer you in the right direction.
icon_wink.gif
HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but received a pretty rude and unhelpful response. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's where I would say, "clearly you don't understand what I'm asking for, would you mind telling me who your meat supplier is so I can have an intelligent conversation with someone regarding the product I would like to purchase."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but received a pretty rude and unhelpful response. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's where I would say, "clearly you don't understand what I'm asking for, would you mind telling me who your meat supplier is so I can have an intelligent conversation with someone regarding the product I would like to purchase." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sounds alot like my quest for Tri-Tip conversations with so called "Butchers" here in Amish Town.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Pork Belly they know about. Ask about Tri-Tip, you get the your from outer space look.
icon_confused.gif

It seems to be more & more difficult to obtain this antique food. The mom & pop place here stopped ordering pork bellies unless I wanted to buy the entire case. I looked all over (phone) within a 100 miles. Finally I found them locally at the Mexican market. So, if there is a Mexican grocery in your area that has a meat dept., that is worth checking out.

Richard

At home my local country butcher has it. On the road I nearly always get it at a market that caters to the Hispanic community. Asian grocers with meat departments nearly always carry it too.

Just found out my local asian grocer has it. Check there. I never knew such gold was in these meat departments, I've been taking my mom there for years, never really paying attention, until I started to cook. I just picked up some oxtails there which I discovered just a few weeks ago. Going to do a hearty soup with it.

While I was there, I noticed "pork bellies" and made a mental note because of these threads. Definitely check them or a hispanic market (which I am still looking for a close one, all the good ones are ... closer to the Tijuana border than me in north county).

Try http://www.99ranch.com/StoreLocator.asp?Store=All, they have a couple of Washington stores, not sure how close they are to you (Kent and Edmonds?). Not 100% sure they have it, but it's worth a shot.

Sean,
Have you tried Pike Place Market? Also, as Joe Dang said, look for a hispanic market. There's a grocery store not far from my place that caters to the Hispanic community, and the meat Dept has a big selection of pork, good prices, too! Maybe even try Viet Wah

Steve

Like the other posters said, Asian and Hispanic groceries would have them. Here's the link to Uwajimaya huge Asian store over in your area. If you frequent farmer's markets, Skagit River Ranch is in the Ballard market on Sundays. Their cows and pigs are not given antibiotics and hormones. Same goes for Cheryl the Pig Lady. She's in Tacoma on Thursday and Puyallup on Saturdays. I'm not positive, but I think she might be in Ballard too.

JP

I can confirm that Uwajimaya definitely has pork belly. The head butcher at the downtown Seattle store was most helpful.

Back