Where To Buy Brisket In Connecticut

Larry Powers

TVWBB Member
I am gearing up to do my first brisket. I picked up something called a brisket at Stew Leonards but what I have is a first cut brisket. I will smoke it for a few hours for flavor and then braise it and move on

I have spent the weekend reading up and watching shows on brisket and am ready to give this a try. So for those of you in CT, where do you buy your brisket and how much should you expect to pay per pound?

Thanks.

Bogner's in Manchester usually has several packers to choose from.

I think I paid around $2.50/lb this weekend.

Also, Crisfield's on Purchase St in Rye, NY (more expensive); also try Newington Meat on Main in Newington, Conn. Walmart Supercenters (if near enough) usually have them but you have to ask for them, 'whole brisket', as they do not generally put them out whole.

Welcome to the board T Haas.

I didn't know we had any Walmart Super Centers in the state. Turns out there are three. None right next door but also not too far away.

Called Newington and they were 3.75/lb untrimmed. I also called Halls in Hartford and got the same price.

Guess I will check out Bogner's in Manchester.

Thanks.

Hi Larry,

Not sure where you are in CT (I'm in Stamford and haven't had any luck finding packers anywhere around here. I'll def be calling the place in Rye Kevin mentioned).

FYI, I bought a 7.5# flat from Stew's this weekend (I'm sure the same thing you got, believe it was 3.99 a lb on special for the Jewish holidays?). I spent about ten minutes finding the thickest, most uniform flat I could find. Did a high heat cook on it Sunday and have to say, it was about the best brisket I ever had. I've only done flats due to not being able to find packers, but this was the first time I really paid attention to the uniformity (is that a word?) of the meat, and it paid off.

Just wanted to let you know that before you blow off bbq'ing the Stew's flat all together....

Best of luck.

I will give the flat a try. Actually on Primal grill last week the covered brisket both packer and flat. I will throw the flat in for a low and slow. It should take about 5 hours.

There is a Walmart Super center in Hamden but the butcher in Rye is probably close for you.

I'm not sure where your are at in CT but I've been getting everything I need at Arnold's in East Longmeadow, just over the boarder into MA. I live in Enfield so it's really close. They'll get you or cut up any type of meat you want. I got some really good pork bellys from them when I did bacon and the prime rib I've got from them was the best I've ever eaten. I can't say enough good things about the excellent product and knowledgable and helpful staff at Arnolds.

Arnolds Meats

Costco is great to find deals but inconsistant on what they have so it's hit or miss. I've always found Stew Leonards to be way overpriced.

The Butchery in East Windsor was my "go to" place until I found Arnold's. They'll get you anything you want but you'll have to call in to order. It's next to Harken's Market

The Butchery

I've smoked two flats at once, one stacked on top of the other fat side out on each. Find two of similar size that will match up well. Flip the whole thing at some point, 175 maybe. If they mate up well, I sandwich the temp probe between them.

OK, this may be a little too far for you but I just found a place with very good brisket prices - but you'll have to brave NYC traffic for it. There's a retail chain called Western Beef. It's an urban supermarket chain, somewhat down-market, but their prices on barbecue meats are pretty decent. I just scored an 11.2# untrimmed full packer for $2.69/lb (no grade mentioned so probably Select or Choice at best). They also have true sub-2# baby backs and Fred Flintstone Dino beef ribs in stock.

Bogner's is close and looks like the prices are pretty good on their web site. Can't see the advertisement for Arnold's but will check them out at some point. Restaurant Depot is in my back yard and my game club has a membership their. As soon as I can get my hands on the membership card I will check them out.

Thanks for all the options. Much better then the few local markets I have been shopping at.

There's a butcher window in the Newtown Deli with a very knowlegable butcher named Steve. he can get anything you want if you call ahead. I've gotten whole packers from him for about $4.99/lb. He get most of his product from local farms in Oxford.

Back