Where to buy BBQ'in wood in Massachusetts?

Jeff Rushe

TVWBB Member
...I think there's a couple folks from MA floating around on this board....

So, other than the overpriced and small packs of hickory and mesquite that you can pick up at a home depot or the like.....where does one buy wood for BBQ'in???

...or to open this up to all of you, are there any reasonably priced online retailers that you can trust?

I would love to find a place that sells something other than those 2 choices, especially since I stay clear of mesquite. Been looking forward to finding some apple, cherry or maple.

Thanks in advance...!

I got about a 16" log of apple for a buck from Big Apple Farm in Wrentham.. Check with a local fruit farm... They'll look at you like you are nuts, but tell them what it's for and they'll be helpful.

You should be able to get oak anywhere that sells firewood as it's native and abundant here. Probably the most common firewood up here. For maple, you might have to go to Vermont, or find a local place that taps their own trees for syrup. I don't know of any specifically.

Hickory and Mesquite aren't local here, so I only know of it at HD/Lowes, or online.

thanks, all, for the replies thus far.

Paul...that sounds perfect, thank you! I'm going to look into giving them a visit.

If not, and if I still come up short....smokinlicious.com it is!

If you are up for a bit of a drive from Salem, you might want to try the below (at the intersection of 495 and 119 in Littleton). I've gotten my smokewood from them before. But be warned, they coming in large mesh bags. I'm still working on the one I bought 3 years ago. You could give them a call to see what they are currently carrying. If I recall correctly, they had about 1/2 dozen different types in stock.
http://www.stoveshop.com/

That being said, I'm probably going to be ordering from smokinlicious.com.

I am going to try Smolak Farms in North Andover, I am going there Saturday for apple picking and will let you know if they have any wood for sale

Paul... you may have to ask... and I wouldn't expect that it be chunked for you already..

At Big Apple, guy walks out with a log.. that's it.. here ya go
icon_smile.gif

Apple was like a rock even compared to oak, nevermind pine... I split it into 4 wedges with a maul, then cut the wedges into large chunks, then took a hatchet and hammer to make the chunks the right size..

I coudln't believe the sweet smell that came from the Apple... 1 Apple/2 Hick was great with pork.

Paul, please do keep me/us posted when you find out...I work on the Andover/Tewks line - that would be an ideal hookup, esp if the price is right.

But like Tim said...I've been hearing good things about that sugar maple, which you can get from smokinlicious.

But on the other hand, I'd love to get my hands on some apple!

I know summer is all about BBQ'ing, but this cooler weather is really making me anxious to fire it up this weekend - too bad I'm traveling for work!!

....Go Pats! (despite the obvious)

BBQ Barn is actually where I bought my WSM. But I do remember them not having an extensive selection of wood, other than the hickory/mesquite you mentioned.

...but damn you and your Blue Ribbon suggestion! Now I might have to stop on by
icon_cool.gif

I haven't been to Blue Ribbon since I stopped working in Needham MA. We used to go to the one in Newton for lunch. Talk about nap time after you ate all that pulled pork. YUUUMMMYYYY!!!!!

I know this thread is WAAAY old, but I am relatively new to the forums and figured a bump wouldn't hurt...

Anyways, I've had little luck finding any smoke wood short of the sacks of hickory at Home Depot. I do have a couple of orchards within driving distance, but based on a couple of phone calls them seem to be closed until the fall.

Has anyone in central New England had any luck at a specific orchard or specialty store locating some decent smoke wood?

--Tim

Actually, what you might do is ask at your local farmer's market. We have several here in Boston, and most of them have booths run by area orchards. (This time of year, they're mostly selling strawberries.) Go up to one or more of them and say, "You know, I can't find any apple wood for smoking around here," and tell them you'd buy some if they brought any next time, and I bet you'd get results.

Matter of fact, the Brookline Farmer's Market starts tomorrow. I'm gonna mention that to my guy there...

I get my wood and lump charcoal from peoples wood, They are a division of A.J. Martin in Rhode Island. Not only do they sell wood etc. but also sell and ship any cut of meat you can think of including whole pigs.

Prices and quality are reasonable too.

Al

Thanks for the info guys. I've actually got some family in the Warwick area and just put an email in to them about maybe picking some up locally.

I appreciate the help!

--Tim

Check your local golf course. We are always doing some trimming as well as take downs. I am constantly taking home milk crates of oak and cherry that I have broken down into chunks at the golf course. I have been eyeing a couple crabapples that look like they have seen better days and would be much happier smoking some ribs.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Good luck,
Keith

Since I bumped this thread, I figured I'd add a couple of updates...

I was hoping People's Wood had a retail outlet since I've got family in Warwick, but they only do mail order.

I made a few more phone calls and found Bolton Orchards in Bolton, MA sells seasoned apple wood logs by the bin.

If any of you are familiar with the large wooden bins found at orchards or cider mills, they had the wood stacked in those. At $30 a half bin, I felt the price was more than reasonable. I bought a half bin and loaded the back of my Jeep with as much wood as I could fit. I figure I've got enough for at least the rest of the year. I had to debark and cut the logs and a few I tossed because of some rot, but for the most part the wood was perfect.

If you're in the Central MA area, give them a call. They were very helpful and reasonable with the price.

--Tim

Back