Where to buy a WSM in Stuart, Fl (near Palm Beach)

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok, I am hooked and already have been getting excellent feedback from this forum. Now, I have been to several large retailers (Wal*Mart, K-Mart and Home Depot). No luck. Does anyone know where I can purchase one locally. Oh, also, what bells and whistles should I also purchase (temp guages, etc). Thanks in advance.

The WSM is not sold in the stores you mentioned, and not at most Weber retailers, either.

Barbecues Galore carries the WSM. They have a store in Coral Springs, about 40 miles from you? Otherwise, you'll probably have to order one through a Weber dealer, or buy online.

If you choose to buy online, please consider purchasing from Amazon.com, as the sale generates a small fee that helps defray the cost of bringing you this website. Amazon has the WSM on sale for $158 (normally $179), a great price and free shipping. Hard to beat.

Best regards,
Chris

WSM on Amazon.com

Hey there,
I am not associated with Chris and the Virtual Weber site, but you will be more pleased if you order from Amazon via a link from the Virtual Weber Bullet page. Here's why:

1) Amazon shipped my order in less time than they advertised (in a matter of days - less than a week)
2) I have never had a problem at all with the orders I placed through Amazon
3) You will not be able to buy the WSM at any retailer that I have found...most of the BBQ/Grill places do not understand why a bullet smoker is over $100..
4) You will not be able to buy the WSM at any retailer at that price that is now advertised on Amazon ($158!!!)
5) Free shipping
6) A purchase via a link on the Virtual Weber Bullet page gives Chris a small commision..
7) The money you save buying through Amazon (hopefully via a link on this site!) you can spend that on gloves/mitts (found some BBQ mitts for $14 through Amazon), 2 Taylor digital thermometers ($15 a thermometer now through Amazon). You will need the above, trust me as a new owner myself. All the above, the smoker, gloves and thermometers can be bought through Amazon and pay NO shipping!!!
8) Chris is a great guy for working his tail off on this site and providing us the great pleasure that proper barbecuing with the WSM affords and information that is unparralled anywhere on the internet. Please support him...

I know you want to get smoking...but somehow my bbq tastes better knowing that my WSM and associated purchases help Chris and this site out.

Whatever you decide...I know you will be happy with the WSM...I am tremendously pleased with my smoker.

Regards,
PrestonD

Preston and Chris. thanks for the info. However, I am a little bit confused (whats new huh?). I want to Based on Preston, support Chris's efforts but it is a little bit unclear as how to do that... do I click on the link that Chris provided or do something else to assure Chris gets some "pieces of eight" in his pocket. Also, you (Preston) mentioned the gloves, etc. I will purchase them. But I kinda like the idea of the remote sensors and would appreciate any info on the best bang for the buck. Think I read some stuff on Taylors and dont remember if they had problems or not. I am assuming I should get gloves, sensors, Kingsford charcol, (stovepipe?? dont know if they come with one), hickory chips (or chunks?)... anything else?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Wagner:
[qb]I want to support Chris's efforts but it is a little bit unclear as how to do that... do I click on the link that Chris provided or do something else...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can click the link I included in my previous reply. Also, any of the Amazon links you see anywhere on the Website will work, as well.

See Support The Virtual Weber Bullet for details.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Robert,
To expand on what Chris mentioned and to provide further info...

1) As Chris said any link to Amazon on the Virtual Weber Site will provide him credit when ordering. Now don't go off the site to another site and come back in as that will typically lose the link. I goto Virtual Weber and go directly to the Amazon site.

2) I own both Polder and Taylor units. and I am putting together a page on my web site for digital thermometers (its not done yet) but here is my site:

PrestonD's BBQ Smythe site...

I use 3 units...one for internal meat temperature and one for top vent temperature and one for grate temperature. Actually I use one unit I just swap out the probes. You can order spare probes for just $2.50 from Taylor.

My take on these units based on my research. They are all made by one company in China named ETL. Where it differs in how each company negotiates their contracts for manufacturing and quality of the units:

a) Taylor
Long known for quality thermometers I have discussed with Taylor engineering department regarding their digital thermometer units.

Taylor is always responsive on any questions I have ever asked them, I mean real responsive and very nice to deal with. They negotiated and set up more stringent quality control standards on the probe to improve the probes made by ETL as they were very prone to failure due to the way they attached the inner conductor wire to the metal probe tip.

There is an additional tubing at the crimp where the wiring enters the probe which lends itself to the sealing aspect, other manufacturers do not have this extra feature. They also negotiated to ensure that they have matched sensing unit (thermistor) in the probe, this helps ensure repeatability and interchangeability and accuracy. The $15 Taylor unit does not have a clock feature, but it does have a timer and alarm setpoint and an on/off switch. The case design will prevent you from breaking the hinge.

b) Polder
No on/off switch, does have a clock, no extra seal on the probe crimp. More complicated instructions on setting alarm setpoint and timer (do not lose the little manual). My inquiries (both letter, phone calls and e-mail) were left unanswered even after several attempts over a 2 month period. Their accuracy is not as good in my tests (I have 2 Taylors and 2 Polders...the Taylor wins out in accuracy on my particular units (+/-2F vs. +/-4 to 6F).

C) Pyrex
Similar in features to the Taylor unit but no extra crimp seal. I have no information on whether they have negotiated more comprehensive quality control aspects with their probe.

D) Remote Wireless Units
I have had no experience with these units but they allow you to place a base station in the house and have remote sensors at the smoker outside transmitting temperatures to the base unit. I think you can have multiple sensors. I have not seen these devices on Amazon for sale yet.

In regards to the gloves, I bought the Eastman Outdoors 38212 19-Inch Gauntlet Cooking Gloves.

Get the Weber charcoal chimney, it is the best!

I think a very nice shopping list that you can place with Amazon is as follows:

1) Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker ($159)
2) Weber Charcoal Starter Chimney ($11)
3) Taylor Digital Thermometers (qty 2 - $15 each)
4) Grilling/BBQ gloves ($15)
5) Weber Rib Rack ($12)

All the shipping for the above items if placed at the same time on one order will have free shipping.

Regards,
PrestonD

Robert, the information Preston and Chris gave you is very accurate. I would also encourage you to place your order at Amazon from within TVWB Website. In fact, it doesn't have to be barbecue related to place an order from this site - I just ordered some movies, books and a new charcoal chimney from there. Chris will still get the credit.

Sorry for the bad link in my post above...I have fixed it and it should work now..thanks to Ray Humphrey and John Haslip who notified me...I apologize for any inconvenience it caused...
PrestonD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back