Where is everyone???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
It is 4:30a.m. and I am awake, why isn't everyone else?
icon_confused.gif

Just put an 8.5lb picnic on, wanted to start last night but it was way too windy. Well I am breaking in my new Maverick ET 73 today. I feel pretty stupid that I had been using the old dial type themometers for so long. This thing is great! Sitting inside the house watching the temp slowly rise. Sure beats going in and out of the house checking temps. Especially when it is cold or raining. Well I am 30 minutes into the cook, meat temp 53, pit temp 191. Wake up everyone, I need someone to talk to!
icon_biggrin.gif

I still use the old thermometer and it works well. I am going to upgrade eventually though. As soon as I sell my old house money will back back in order and I have a list of gadgets to get. Big list.
DP

Aye Larry, the ET-73 is very nice indeed. I've never done a picnic. Do you slice it or pull it?

Rath *Yogi's my idol*

Dale,
When the funds start flowing again, I would recommend the Maverick ET-73. It is worth the $40 bucks. Nice gadget!

Don,
You cook a picnic exactly as you would a butt. It just has a piece of skin you should remove for better smoke/rub penetration. I buy picnics 90% of the time because they are cheaper and in MHO, are just as good as a butt. Some people say they taste hammy, but I cannot tell the difference. I pull it.

Larry,

I am in the same boat as you. I put on two butts(16# total) and an 8# brisket flat. Meat went on at 6:30. It sure is wendy here in Richmond. I just couldn't go another week without some Q'n. My temps have been very slow to rise, it's now ~8 and I have a dome temp of ~190 and a bottom grate temp of 215(Et-73). I worry that the temps are going to be a hard fight today.

Mike

Mike,
No wind here in Bealeton....yet. It is supposed to pick up later. My temps have been real steady so far. Right now I have a top grate temp of 237* and the picnic is at 156*. What kind of rub are you using today? I am trying the Texas BBQ #1 on the picnic.

Keith,
Glad it wasn't an emergency!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I always make my own with the usaul paprika, chili powder, chipotle chilli powder, garlic, fresh ground black pepper, dry mustard and old bay. I have started using some old bay since reading a thread here and I like it. I'll one day have to try some "store" bought rubs.

Wind here is 15-30 mph gusts. I don't have any good wind break but I moved the smoker up closer to the house. It'll be a late dinner but I am going to deep fry some chicken legs in the mean time.

Mike

I wish I'd gotten up earlier to start smoking but it just didn't happen-late night, lots of wine.

With the run of hurricanes here most of my grills have been put away but I'm pulling them all out this morning. Had no power for over a week and cooked everthing on an old Weber kettle but without adequate storage I didn't do any large cuts of meat.

Bought a pair of butts yesterday. Still thinking about what kind of rub I want to make but they're going on this evening. Finally!

I usually make my own too. But I kept hearing numerous raves about the Texas BBQ Rub, I had to try it. I spoke too soon about my temps, they have gone down fast and I am having a hard time getting them back up. Fried chicken sounds awesome.............but I can't have it. I am on the South Beach Diet, not really supposed to eat the pork either.

Larry I think I found your wind up here in Long Island. I've got 20 to 30 mph gusts and that's up here on the north shore.

I've got to go down to the ocean side (south shore) to cook today.

Anyone know if the WSM has been wind tunnel tested yet?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Fried chicken sounds awesome.............but I can't have it. I am on the South Beach Diet, not really supposed to eat the pork either. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am doing atkins. I will fry the legs without any batter then sauce them like buffalo wings. No carbs and lots of spice.

Mike

I put a 5 lb pork butt on last night at about midnight. It was real breezy and at first I had a hard time keeping the coals from goin nuts. Temp was about 260-270 when I went to bed at 1 am. I awoke at 8 and it was down to 190. meat was 160. I cleaned out some ash and stoked the coals. Were back to 250 and meat is about 180. Lookin good! Of course I dont have my WSM yet so im making due with a highly modified (lol- you should see this thing!) Brinkmann. Cnat wait for the WSM! Ive got a big cook next weekend. Should be ready for lunch when the mother in law comes.

Larry, you can build a pretty inexpensive windbreaker . I got a thin piece of plywood and some hinges at thhe Home Depot. Cut the wood to size, added the hinges and VOILA!! A windreak when you need it(and it works great) and when you don't it folds in to 3rds and can be stored in the garage or where ever!!

Glad your ET-73 works! I am still having trouble with mine! 3rd time of replacing...might go back to the old lid temp and say F-IT!! Looking at NU-Temp 701 but man those are expensive!!

GO BROWNS (4pm EST)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
Glad your ET-73 works! I am still having trouble with mine! 3rd time of replacing...might go back to the old lid temp and say F-IT!! Looking at NU-Temp 701 but man those are expensive!!

_GO BROWNS (4pm EST)_ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My ET-73 had problems and I finally got a replacement from Maverick and it is working like a charm.

wish I would've seen you on this morning early. I was up too ruining a brisket...I'll look in more catagorys than 'new WSM owners' next time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back