Where can I buy Apple wood chunks?

Craig Corrigan

Reading through the polls it seems that Apple wood is the favorite for smoking. I prefer chunks to chips, but can not seem to find any Apple at any of the likely places near me.

Online does not seem like a good option due to weight/cost.

Is Apple the favorite wood for smoking? Where might be a good place to get some?

Thanks,
Craig

Check out www.chiggercreekproducts.net

I've been buying their stuff locally (and absolutely love it), but will go direct next time I purchase since it's much cheaper even with shipping included.

Their wood chunks are really clean, and great size not only for the WSM but for charcoal grilling as well. Good variety they offer too.

You'll want the 300 cubic inch bags of chunks - I think they offer them in chips and real big chunks too. They even have a package deal where you can get one case of chunks (8 bags) with mixed flavors.

I've been emailing them back and forth the past couple days and they've been very prompt.

I know the online prices aren't great, but I've been very pleased with wood ordered from Smokinlicious - I get the double filet and am impressed with the quality.

Craig, you should be able to get a TON of peach wood though! I'm just sayin'
icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though guys, and this goes for anybody. As long as you live in a region that can grow fruit trees ... There is no need to pay a bunch of money for wood! Find a local orchard or two and stop in as a customer and look around. Chit chat with the workers/owners. Get on the topic about cooking and sauces. Let em know what you do. Buying something never hurts either. They may have wood already available for sale. Buy that and be done with it or you could work out a barter system. Ask if they have a scrap pile nearby that you could rummage through for usable pieces (have your saw handy!). In exchange for the wood, you offer them some of the meats that come off your cooker. Folks are ALWAYS looking for good bbq! And unless they bbq themselves, you'll probably be able to work out a deal. Trust me, at certain times of the year they top off and take out plenty of trees. It sits until they get a chance to burn it. This fall a local orchard (with permission) dumped a bunch of older apple trees out in a ditch on some of my in-laws property. Only to be burned sometime later on down the road. I guess I need to get out there and see what all they dumped.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Okay, I rambled, but here's one more. Tree services. Get hooked up with one of them. Same deal, wood for food. And the variety is real nice!

It never hurts to have some bbq with you when you visit these places. Show em what you got. Give em a bag or two. If it's good, (and I'm sure it is), they'll want to work something out.

Have a great weekend y'all!
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Scottie Johnson:
I've had real good success and find that their quality is outstanding. Plus they give you free shipping...

Maine Grilling Woods
wow thanks for the link Scottie!
How these guys can afford free shipping on wood is beyond me..anyone know what 222 cubic feet equates to in lbs approx?

I live in Florida and there is like one orchard. Apple wood is difficult to come by here and I really want to avoid having anything as heavy as wood shipped to me.

However we have plenty of orange groves and I am positive I could wheel and deal with somebody on some orange wood.

What do you guys think. Is orange wood any good to smoke with?

I used to get mine at the Barbecues Galore in Duluth but they closed. I have occasionally seen Apple chunks at Home Depot, Lowes or local Hardware stores. It's hit or miss though. You could always ride up to Elijay and see if you could get some from an orchard.

Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
Seriously though guys, and this goes for anybody. As long as you live in a region that can grow fruit trees ... There is no need to pay a bunch of money for wood! Find a local orchard or two and stop in as a customer and look around. Chit chat with the workers/owners. Get on the topic about cooking and sauces. Let em know what you do. Buying something never hurts either. They may have wood already available for sale. Buy that and be done with it or you could work out a barter system. Ask if they have a scrap pile nearby that you could rummage through for usable pieces (have your saw handy!).

I agree. Stopped by "Farmer Bills" roadside stand last year. He sells mainly sweetcorn and an assortment of peppers, but he also sells apples.

Got to talkin to him, told him I needed some apple wood for smokin, and he took me back to the back forty, and had a huge pile of wood. He jumps out, and starts sorting through the wood, throwing out apple logs. I told him give me 10 dollars worth, and he kept tossin those logs to me.

Once I had half a truck full, I told him that's enough. He wasn't going to stop. We jump back in the truck to go back to his stand, and he says stop right here. Jumps back out, and asks me if I want some cherry wood. Sure, I say, so he starts throwing cherry logs at me! Again, I had to stop him.

3/4 of a truck load for 10 bucks! Of course, I had to split it, and cut it down to usable chunks, but I won't have to buy any apple or cherry wood for a while. But, when I do, I know where I'll go to get more!

Great story Hersh and a perfect example of what I was saying, or as my 4 year old would say .. "That's what I'm tawkin' bout!"

Had a lady call me yesterday and ask me if wanted any crabapple or sweet gum wood. I could have all I wanted. I politely declined. Thing is, she got my number from a tree service guy who happened to have one of my cards. I don't even know who the guy is or how he got my card! That's just how things work around here. Maybe it's a Midwest thing?

Justin, orange wood is fine. Kevin Kruger uses it more than most anybody else. Coming from Fla. himself, he could probably give you some other suggestions as well.

Justin,

I can't speak of all citrus, but Navel Orange is quite good. I had to remove a tree from my back yard last year, and it has been used frequently.

Rick

Just scored the jackpot. A house in my neighborhood just cut down an apply tree. I should have enough for quite a while. They were hauling it off. I was able to grab a trunk load. SCORE!

Back