When to slice????

Steve Forwe

TVWBB Fan
Santa brought me a meat slicer this year. When is the best time to slice a Tri or a Round roast for sammis???? After the rest period, or the next day after a night in the fridge???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Forwe:
Santa brought me a meat slicer this year. When is the best time to slice a Tri or a Round roast for sammis???? After the rest period, or the next day after a night in the fridge??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cold will give you the best, moist slices. If you want to warm it up before you place on the sandwich, briefly dip he slices into warm stock.

I think you are ok with either.

Cold the next day is probably easier and less mess. The deli always slices cold meat. If you aren't eating it the cold meat is firmer and cuts easier with less juice all over.

Hi Steve,

I smoke a lot of eye of the round roasts. I always cook them to very near the desired end temperature. I smoke them low and slow. I remove them to a cutting board and let them rest for about a half of an hour before slicing. I don't tent them--simply letting them rest for that 30 minutes or so. I don't get much rise in internal temperature when cooking low and slow and forgoing the tenting. After resting, I slice them. You'll lose some juice, but the meat will retain a lot of it. Any juice that is lost from the meat when slicing is captured and poured back over the sliced meat.

I can't imaging slicing them the next day after refrigeration. Unless you take extreme measures, there will always be some warmed over flavor (WOF) to the beef that is refrigerated and reheated. It seems that smoking does help reduce the warmed over flavor, but it doesn't eliminate it entirely. The meat will be at its peak flavor if sliced and served immediately after its resting period.

For some pretty technical information about warmed over flavor of beef and pork, look here.

It's nice that Santa recognizes the needs of the older kids too...

###

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D. L. Whitehead:
Unless you take extreme measures, there will always be some warmed over flavor (WOF) to the beef that is refrigerated and reheated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree somewhat with the WOF theory......... I think you will certainly get 'WOF' if the meat is not chilled, wrapped and reheated properly or even worse, over heated. If common sense is used, (not really "exteme measures") in the preparation/reheating process, there will little if any discernable flavor discrepancy.

I have never noticed any flavors even remotely associated with what was described in the article, as (odors and flavors commonly described as "stale","cardboard-like", "painty" or "rancid") when chilling/slicing/reheating, pork, poultry or beef.

Back