When to "pull" your butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Willis

TVWBB Member
I have two picnics going, the top one @ 172. I heard someone say to get the temp to 190 if your doing pulled pork, but does that mean take it off and let the temp rise by itself, or actually leave it in the WSM until it hits 190?

** I misread the question when I posted this. As others who answered the real question said, remove when meat temps reach 195-205 degrees **

Remove the butts from the WSM, wrap in foil, and let it rest. If you place them in an empty ice chest in towels, it will stay hot for as long as 4-4.5 hrs. Pull just before serving.

If the time between the end of the smoke and dinner time is long, consider inserting a remote probe thermometer in the meat so you will know if it drops below 140 degrees and the risk of bacteria increases.

I take them to 190-195* in the WSM and then remove, foil, and put in the ice chest until it's time to pull & serve for dinner.

I took mine off the smoker at 190 and let it rest in a cooler while it was wrapped. I pulled it about 60-90 minutes later and it pulled very easily. It was so juicy!

What temperature is yours up to now?

I did one last night took it to 200 and wrapped it in foil let it sit for an hour. Pulled great so moist and tender. Reheating right now for lunch. Yum

I go to 190 to 195 then pull when I am able to tackle it without burning my fingers. Usually about an hour or so later.

David,

Last week I removed the butts at 190 & 192 and held them in foil int he cooler for 2 hours. i forgot to take check the internal temp before pulling but it was real hot still. Pulled sooo easy and was awesome.

I held the brisket in foil/cooler for almost 3.5 hours with no problem.

so far my experience has beent hat the butts can sit in the 160-175 range for some time, but once they hit 180, 190 comes pretty quick.

let us know how it goes.
Jim

All done. I actually took my daughter to the zoo @ 174. Called my wife 2 hours later and she said it was @ 194. Had her shut the vents (she ain't the type to Q....yet!) and just finished pulling. Moist and delish! I think it got to 197 by the time I got home, but I guess that's not enough to dry it out.

Twine did pull some of the bark off, but I recovered as much as I could and mixed it in with the rest.

Now...to try some sauces!

Thanks!

I have a quick question. How do you guys pull your butt? :-D

I made one a few weeks ago, and it was OK. Maybe I just got a bad slice of meat, but it seemed a little too fatty, and it was too hard to pull apart easily. I felt as if there was something wrong I was doing. Just wondering what the technique is other people use!

Sounds underdone. At what internal temperature did you pull it off the cooker?

Some people use heat-resistant gloves to pull the meat apart. I use two carving forks, while it is still quite hot, to shred it up. Whether you pull it into small chunks or really shred it is a matter of personal preference.

Hey Dave, I just cooked two shoulders and I took them up to 200 degrees and foiled them, they were the easiest I have ever pulled and also they were very moist.

I'll have to keep in mind the heat resistant gloves.

The first and last time I made it, I took it off, let it sit for about 15 or 20 minutes, and pulled it apart by hand. All I can say is ouch and it felt like I got 3rd degree burns!!!! Just another reason why I wasn't fond of the butt.

Mike, find the outstanding rub thread and take a look. Many of us have ordered the rub and the gloves from the link provided. The gloves allow you to handle the meat and not get burned! NICE. Also, the rubs have gotten great reviews by the members who have used it.

Take a look and do what is right for you. By the way, pulling pork with your hands is never right(not even drunk)!!

Here's the thread Greg just mentioned.

Greg, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> pulling pork with your hands is never right(not even drunk)!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> The voice of experience? Huhhh? LOL! Not that I ever moved a cooked butt from the WSM to a plate. Not me! Nooo! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bill, I'd think when you attain "Super Fan" status you would never put your bare hands on a hot butt...uh, well, ya know what I mean...right??!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LOL!! Believe me...That was a WHILE ago, and yes alcohol was a factor. No burns (except to my ego) and I didn't drop it /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I got some black neoprene Stanley brand gloves from Home Depot for under $10 Canadian, possiby the same ones as Bill. They don't say anything about foodsafe, took that one on faith that neoprene is neoprene. They had a bit of a skunky smell when new but that didn't transfer to the meat and it went away. What I do like about them is the great gripping texture they have on them. The ones I saw in the cooking supply store were smooth as can be and I imagine they are slippery when wet. I don't fancy the idea of juggling my meat out of the cooker and into the house.

** Are PVC gloves actually foodsafe? There was PVC lead poisoning concern 15 - 20 years ago ... (PVC miniblinds). I don't know if PVC lead dispersion is accelerated by heat or just by UVA/UVB. Maybe today's new and improved PVC does not have that flaw, but a quick search on the net only revealed PVC gloves for cleaning and chemical protection. Dunno.

I use leather welding gloves. I run them through the laundry after each smoke. I was worried that they would dry out and stiffen up, but that has not happened yet. They were pretty cheap, but I don't remember how much I spent (assuming I even looked). I also like the long cuffs when I reach down for the meat smoking on the lower rack.

I also use the Stanley (or other hardware store brand) black neoprene gloves for lifting meat off the smoker. So much more control than using tongs especially once a butt gets to pulling temps. Never had a problem with transfer of chemicals from the glove material to the food. I figured they're the same as I've seen the pro Q'ers using.

The one downside is they aren't textured so get a little slippery from grease (not so much from water).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back