When is Temp. STABLE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Silverman

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,
Getting ready to do my first "All Nighter" with two 8# boneless butts and was wondering what level of temp fluctuation or lack of fluctuation is looked for before one says "well that looks good to me ,I'm goin' to bed"? Seems I'm always playing around with the vents to keep the temps near the 225 mark during a 4to 6 hour cook. Maybe I mess with them too much.
thanks
Al

Al
When I do butts overnight I call the temp. stable when it doesnt go up on my dome them. for half an hour. I start shutting my vents down when it gets to 190F- maybe to half way. And once it gets to about 230 (at the dome) I close the vents to about one third. once the temps stays still for :30 I am off to something else. I ususally do come back and check after the first hour but that is about it, and probably myown weirdness, so far 9 out of 10 times it is still the same temp.
Hope this helps some
Arthur

Al

I call the temp "stable" when it's where I want it, around 250/240, has held that temp for an hour and I haven't adjusted the vents. If you keep playing with the vents you never really know if you're stable and that's not condusive to a decent night's sleep. During a daytime cook that's not so much of an issue.

Good luck on your cook and remember, each cook is a learning experience. BTW, if you're using the large pan with water, that will be your safety net from "strange things that go thump during the night". /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paul

Remember, the more you play the less conrtol you have. Sounds weird, but, make the effort to adjust and then let it go for 30-45 minuets. Besides, I think when you make a vent adjustment it takes about 15 minuets to take full effect anyway!

Also, resist that temptation of pulling the lid off for a peekie-boo. Be patient and no fidgiting--coming from the biggest "used to be" fidgiter of them all!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hi,
Thanks guys. If I can resist "peeking", I can resist "tweaking". Maybe I'll bite the bullet and let the "GURU" do the tweaking for me whilst I snooze.
Al

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Al Silverman:
Hi,
Thanks guys. If I can resist "peeking", I can resist "tweaking". Maybe I'll bite the bullet and let the "GURU" do the tweaking for me whilst I snooze.
Al <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I did. The Guru lets me sleep all night. When adjusting manually, it seemed like the temp never really stabilized. The temperature was either rising slowly or dropping slowly. My ET-73 alarm would wake me with the High or Low alarm & I would adjust again. It was like WSM pong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back