when is smoked salmon done

Mike Zemenick

I tried the TVWB salmon brined appitizer style, with great success. I wonder if there is a different way of determining when the salmon is done- besides when it starts to flake. IE, Temp, Feel,... I hate to break apart the filets to see if their done- messes up the presentation.

I don't temp salmon normally but if you're looking for moist then 150-155 (for moist/somewhat underdone/somewhat translucent--140-145). If you are shooting for a drier finish then 165.

Normally I just insert a thin-bladed knife in a natural spot and separate it gently and take a quick look if I'm not sure. Mostly I go by the look of the filet toward the edges and the feel of the thickest part when gently pressed.

We've always used 125-130 in the thickest part for salmon filets. By the time you get it off and let it rest for a while it will be up a little more and be very moist. I guess I'd rather stab them with a thermometer than go by feel. It may seem low but you can always throw it back on.

I always push on it with my finger. If it's firm, I usually pull it. I have done what Kevin does, and separate it and take a peek. Usually the salmon cooks for around 3 hours no hotter than 250. I haven't done one in a long time, but also take into consideration that it still can be consumed in the rare stage if it's good quality.

Mike: Exactly how are you presenting this? Is it in a spread, is it sliced and rolled, or is it left whole and eaten off a platter?

That recipe is designed for a drier finish but you certainly can tweak it to your liking. 'Drier' is relative. I do a similar recipe.

I go with a cooked-through finish and serve as a 3 or 4x1-inch piece with sauce and slaw. (See here.)

The salmon is still moist (the brine helps here) but is quite firm as a piece. It firms more when chilled. I serve it hot, cold or room-temp depending on the meal. When flaked it is tender, moist, not gelatinous like salmon smoked at low temps and pulled at low temps.

Mike, I'm wondering the same as Jane: How do you want to present it?

The internal temps I use are the same as Kevin suggested. I find I do not care for salmon as much once it hits that 160 or higher mark(personel taste). Much over over 155 the moisture level drops quickly.
Jim

I planned on serving the fish whole (or large filets) on a platter surrounded by crackers, red un yawns, capers, ect. I thought the guests could cut or flake a piece of the fish off & enjoy! I guess i'll go by temp & feel. I'll shoot for the 145 to 150 range. Thanks!

That would be a good finish. If you do a whole side the thinner flesh toward the tail will be more done for those who might prefer it that way. If I might suggest a cuke-radish slaw accompaniment as well (you can see if in the pic I noted upthread). Good colors for a platter and it goes so well with salmon, plus with onion, capers, lemon--all the usuals. It's less than 5 min to make it as all it is is a Kirby cuke washed and grated using the medium holes on a box grater with a single radish grated on the fine holes; toss together with a little sprinkling of Kosher and you're good to go.

Back