When do you use your Performer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan K.

What scenarios do you find that you use your Performer over your WSM.

Currently, I own the 2009 18.5" WSM and love it. I am in the process of obtaining a used Performer. Also, own a weber gas grill.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonathan K.:
What scenarios do you find that you use your Performer over your WSM.

Currently, I own the 2009 18.5" WSM and love it. I am in the process of obtaining a used Performer. Also, own a weber gas grill.

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Weber OTG and a WSM Classic(old model); I use my OTG 2-3 times a week to cook with wetted smoke chips:

steaks, chicken, pork chops, fish,

My WSM I use about once-a-month to cook:

Whole smoked chickens
Whole Turkey
Smoked pork roast

For me the OTG is easier and faster to set-up than my WSM and the charcoal is brought to temperature a lot faster, like 15 minutes. I guess at my age(66) I find grilling somewhat easier than Smoking. Boy, the Performer's appear to be one great product!

Richard

WSM Classic, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

Besides the Performer, we have a WSM, 22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, and SJ. The Performer is about one year old, and now is the only grill we use besides the WSM.

The Performer or kettle is VERY versatile. I have cooked whole packer brisket, pork butt. Actually use the kettle to cook ribs at competitions.

Jonathan,
I used my performer for a few long cooks (baby backs and brisket) and it worked very well. Once I got my wsm, however, I haven't done one long cook on the Performer! They both produce equally great bbq. The question is whether you want to worry over it like a new father, checking the temp and adding fuel etc, or relax with a beer or two and ignore it (or almost ignore it
icon_smile.gif
) Either way, you'll get to eat great food!

I use my Performer enough that after using gas grills all my life, after the first Performer cook I sold the gasser in the next week.

Haven't looked back since! Can't beat the ease of lighting and table convenience.

Can't say I would have been as confident in selling the gasser if I had bought a Kettle instead.

Still have yet to a long cook on the Performer, although I know most who have, get good results. Just not worth it to me when the WSM is waiting patiently next to it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonathan K.:
How is the Performer if you didn't own a WSM and wanted to try a longer cook like ribs or pork shoulder? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maintaining a low temperature for long periods of time requires constant attention on the Performer. I've smoked ribs on mine and they turned out great. However, I had to make temperature adjustments every 10-20 minutes. My WSM holds low temperatures for long periods of time without much tinkering.

I use my Performer for quick, low temperature cooks/smokes, such as smoked salmon (~45 mins), but it's primarily used for grilling steaks, chicken, pork loins, etc...

I have not used my gas grill since 2007 - my WSM and Performer made it obsolete.

I have no problems having 7-8+ hour cooks on the performer w/ no attention.(firebrick method) It will not go real low...but 250-260 is average. I prefer 250 range over 225 anyays, the end product I see no difference except it takes longer.

My Performer is my weekend Grill/BBQ I use it at least twice per weekend and cook almost anything on it I can maintan 250 on it no worries, I do have to add a few more briquettes to it every few hours but it is no big problem. Most of my BBQ cooks (low and slow) are 3 - 5 hours. The good thing about briquettes in Australia is that you get consistant heat and burn times, I know that by having 15 per side and setting the bottom and top vents on their marks I am just about on the money with the temperature give or take 10, the 10 variance is usually caused by wind, humidity and air temp and is easily compensated.

Regards

I use my performer for steaks, chicken, pork loin steaks and a few other goodies.

Sometimes sausage too, cause my wife prefers grilled sausage to smoked sausage, although I prefer the opposite.

I really love the performer though, its quick, easy and very functional...you will find plenty of uses for it.

Liek most of the posts,I use the WSM for long cooks like Boston Butt,brisket and fuul racks of spare ribs. I also use it for smoking turkeys as it will hold 2 at a time. I use the Perf for most everything else. It would be possible to use either one for most cooking but having both makes it SOOOOOO muchn easier!! I've only had the Perf since March but I love it. It sits right next to the WSM so i can use the gas assist to start the WSM nad the table is handy for swapping gratees,etc. You really need both.

before I bought a wsm i used my OTG exclusively for everything. Im the kind of person that likes to tinker with things so making an adjustment here and there on temps didnt bother me at all. I now use the wsm for long cooking sessions (mostly at night) it's almost boring to me lol.

Get a stick burner...youll appreciate the boring part
icon_cool.gif
But I know what you mean...sometimes (well often) im lazy....other times, I love throwing logs on the stick burner and feed the smoker. Not sure if there is a "perfect" cooker...each has its own place...each is unique, each has its pros and cons.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Michael:
Get a stick burner...youll appreciate the boring part
icon_cool.gif
But I know what you mean...sometimes (well often) im lazy....other times, I love throwing logs on the stick burner and feed the smoker. Not sure if there is a "perfect" cooker...each has its own place...each is unique, each has its pros and cons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> yeah i had a homemade stick burner once, only problem with it was it was TOO big
icon_eek.gif
so i scaled downed to just the kettle and wsm
icon_cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back