When can you call a recipe yours?

D Jennings

TVWBB Fan
What's the feeling of the membership about when you can call a recipe yours, and not a barrowed from someone else. In other words you take "Joes" rub recipe and you like it, but maybe it's missing something. You tweak it here and there and come up with one that you like. How far from "Joe's" original recipe do you have to stray to lay claim that the your new recipe is unique and yours alone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Jennings:
What's the feeling of the membership about when you can call a recipe yours, and not a barrowed from someone else. In other words you take "Joes" rub recipe and you like it, but maybe it's missing something. You tweak it here and there and come up with one that you like. How far from "Joe's" original recipe do you have to stray to lay claim that the your new recipe is unique and yours alone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Change one thing or amount and it's your's. Most rubs have pretty much the same ingredients just different amounts to suit ones taste.
icon_wink.gif

I used 3 different rubs for my butts because I didn't have enough of one type. It came out so good. That's now my recipe.

aloha!

Greg

I agree. I am working on a outdoor cookbook now to print sometime later on. I have about 55 - 60 recipes in it now. Most of them I have created all myself, about 12 - 15 are someone else's that I modified to my liking. To call them my own I try to change at least 2 or 3 ingredients or amounts. I haven't looked into the copyright laws yet as far as printing but I do plan on giving credit to whomever I got the original recipe from even though it's my "new" recipe.

Randy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russell Y:
Copyright Recipes

Russell </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! Either you're a lawyer or really smart.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks I didn't know that about recipes. Cute kids by the way in your avatar...

Aloha!

Greg

Russell,

Thanks for the info, I knew there would be some paperwork invovled but it doesn't seem to bad. It may be a year or so anyway before I am ready for print but now I know where to look.

Thanks again,

Randy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Wow! Either you're a lawyer or really smart. Wink
Thanks I didn't know that about recipes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a lawyer... smart is debatable but... Google knows all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Cute kids by the way in your avatar... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks

Note that the ingredient list is not subject to copyright protection, nor are straightforward procedures. It is the 'literary' components--the story behind the recipe, the commentary about the ingredients, the procedures, and similar literary 'expressions' that are copyrightable. One could lift an ingredient list verbatim, name it something else, and call it one's own.

Also note that one possesses copyright immediately when one writes or records something in tangible form. The Copyright Office exists to record--i.e., register--the copyright. One does not legally need to possess a registered copyright in order to prove ownership though this is usually done when something is published for sale. There are other ways to prove copyright short of registering and many people do this with works in progress and wait to register until the work is completed.

In order to protect some intellectual property (presentation content), it was suggested to me that I send a copy of the content to myself, and file the package away (unopened). The post mark establishes a date record in the event that my presentation ended up in others hands and misused. Not a lawyer, but the post mark is a record. I don't know if it would have helped in the event I needed to take action, but it cetainly would not have hurt.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.....
Gary

I now just keep the normal spices on hand. Rarely measure and ad a little more f this or that each time. I write down wha I use just in case I discover Utopia in a combination

Back