Wheels 4 WSM 22

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All What would be the best size wheels for 22 WSM, that has to be moved on grass. I was at Home depot today looking at the wheels for my WSM, so many to chose from.
Also best way to attch them to the WSM?
Thanks Dan

Not sure how they'll do on grass, but I installed these wheels from this thread in the mods section on my 22" WSM awhile back and am happy with the results. For my application I installed them to roll on pavers - the extra height of the smoker is a bonus. I also picked up some stainless nuts/washers at the local hardware store, just like Sebastian showed.

I drilled through the aluminum legs at the point where they were worn the most from the ground - first drilling a pilot hole with a thin drill bit, then the right size for the screw. Took all of ten minutes if I remember correctly.

Can't say what's best but Incan say I have used 3 ways. First I did the 2 wheels on a straight axle. This was not safe inmy opinion. Kept separating from the mid section when moving. My next effort was putting 3 inch wheels on the 3 legs. This didn't steer right for me. I nnow have my smoker screwed down to a 24x24 plywood with 3 inch wheels mounted to the plywood. I added luggage snaps at each leg to connect charcoal pit to bottom of mid section. I live in an apartment complex with sidewalks and carpet grass. There is an ordinance to not have fire within 10 feet of structure. My next step is to increase wheel size to about 5 inches. When grass is wet small wheels are difficult.

Hi All What would be the best size wheels for 22 WSM, that has to be moved on grass. I was at Home depot today looking at the wheels for my WSM, so many to chose from.
Also best way to attch them to the WSM?
Thanks Dan
I have an 18.5" that I am going to put casters on.
I hemmed and hawed about which size...2"...2-1/2"
Then I saw someone who did 3"
After much deliberation, I think that's the perfect size for a WSM, especially if rolling over uneven terrain.

Then what type of wheel and type of locking mechanism ?
I was not thrilled with HD's offerings so I searched.

After a little research I knew I wanted "Total Lock" and not the common side lock.
Total Lock gives you two things that the side lock cannot...
1) Easy access because the locking lever is on top not on the side.
2) Total Lock locks the wheel AND the swivel, not just the wheel.

Also found a US company that makes the perfect caster for the WSM...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Total-Loc...hreaded-Stem-Polyurethane-Wheel-/221807549355
These feature a large diameter bearing and the overall construction is top shelf.
I have the casters in hand but have not installed yet.

I originally bought 2" which work fine on concrete. But now l wish l'd have bought the 3" to go across the grass to my shed. I still need to get the tie downs for the bowl and mid section.

I just recently put wheels on my WSM a few months ago! My buddy gave me these off of his WSM because he found some wheels on Amazon that prevented the wheels from rolling & turning in the locked position.

WSM%20with%20wheels_zpsjnvug8kt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back