What's your wok configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Ok, you charcoal-fired wok cookers, I need your advice!! I have my cast iron wok seasoned up and begging to be used. I have read a number of different posts that range from plop the wok on a bed of hot coals directly, to meticulous creation of a circle of coals with the wok on the grill grate.

If you wok, what's your method of delivering the charcoal heat to the wok and why? How many coals? Configuration? On grill or direct on coals?

Bear in mind that my wok is not big enough to "hang" by its handles on the lip of the grill, so I'm either in the fire, or on the grate.

Thanks in advance for your input. Pictures will follow, success or failure!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

R

I'm a direct-on-coals guy. I squash the wok down (wearing gloves!) on the pile so that there is a single layer directly under the bowl and a pile of two- or three- high partially up the sides. Any excess I remove with tongs or shove off to the side, after the wok is quite hot, and I lower the amount on the sides to two. A bit of tong work but worth it, ime.

The point of wok cooking, imo, is very high heat so that one may cook quickly. Direct on the coals works well for this.

Thanks, K. I'll give the "in the coals" a try and see how it works out.

George, interesting setup there, seems like that could be duplicated pretty easily on the kettle.

Experimenting should be tasty!
icon_smile.gif

R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back