What's your preference on this frakengrill?

AndySo

TVWBB Member
Curious what are everyone's thoughts on the best configuration for this franekgrill I'm putting together from several different models of few Genesis Silvers and Golds. I salvaged everything that is of use off those other grills to put together one frankengrill. My goal was to basically have a Gold like open frame on the bottom, plus a side burner of some type, with a nice colored lid from a Silver B. Unfortunately I don't have any more details because the model label is too badly worn or missing on the ones I salvaged so I have no idea what models of golds they were. All I know is one had an open bottom and the other a closed cabinet that was all rusted out.

One interesting thing that may help is that for the side burners, one type did not have its own igniter, it used a piezo starter with 3 connections; but the other one used what appeared to be a standard piezo 2 connection igniter. Of the two different types of side burners, one is significantly smaller of a burner size than the other. I don't know if that makes a huge deal in how it cooks, perhaps the bigger burner has a higher BTU output and thus cooks faster?

Ignoring the fact that one is much dirtier (I can clean it up), I have to choose only 1 burner obviously, I'm curious what are everyone's thoughts on which burner is the best fit?

Attachments

• IMG_4722.JPG
    IMG_4722.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4723.JPG
    IMG_4723.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4724.JPG
    IMG_4724.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4726.JPG
    IMG_4726.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4727.JPG
    IMG_4727.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 30
I am personally a fan of the later version without a separate igniter. It seems to blend in better to me. The double piezo igniter is more expensive and harder to locate but, as has been pointed out, at least toy only have one to keep working.

The one with the extra igniter button on it is a side burner from a Silver C. The other one is likely from the Gold C, but it might even be from a Summit. Those three connection igniters are pretty tough to source if I recall correctly. Those piezo igniters are pretty durable, but if you have to replace the igniters that run both the cook box and side burner, you might regret it. But, the side burner without the igniter button is a stouter and probably a better burner quality wise. In the end, if you have to use a lighter or match on the side burner, no big deal.

I just went through a similar issue. The burner I have does not have a dedicated ignitor. As rarely as I use it I'm fine just using a stick lighter to get it going and opted to not wire in to a double ignitor. IMO It looks cleaner and more modern anyway.

As others have stated, these oddball 3 wire igniters are becoming harder to source, but the 2 wire option is abundant and has plenty of cheap options on Amazon.

BTW, Frankengrill is my registered trademark. You'll need to find a new name for yours. (only kidding of course)

Is it possible to replace a the one without the ignitor with a grill that has the dual ignitors without having to mod it?

I have so many single piezo igniters I prefer to stay with that system. Would not enjoy paying for a new double ignition when I have 15+ singles laying around.

Back