What's Your Indirect Set-up?

I use one side for steak and chops... fire for meat indirect for veggies/potatoes.
utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzYtMjAxMDA4MTctMTgzOS5qcGc.jpg

I like to use the baskets for BC chickens or larger roasts...
IMG00022-20091111-1737.jpg

"One side banked" for moinkballs and wings that need cooking time with a "crisping zone"...
IMG00015-20091216-1602.jpg

Shorter indirect cooks, coals on one side.

Longer indirect cooks, same setup as Mac's picture. Although I just use tin foil rather than a drip tray.

If I open the grill and the bricks are still in there and not going to hinder me, I leave them in.

Sorry JimT, it's 4pm on Friday so my mind is elsewhere. Didn't full read your questions.

To answer your questions:

I tried the baskets and found that they were just annoying me more than anything else. I can make whatever size area for the coals I want with firebricks, and the bricks cost next to nothing. You can turn them, twist them, stack them to make the perfect area for coals for your application. Once the bricks heat up, they are also going to help maintain your temparature and use less fuel.

I also you fire bricks to set hot items, such as racks, chimneys, or pots on.

By putting down a layer of foil on the charcoal grate under the food, it will make cleaning easier (Learned that the hard way by bending an ash sweeper on my uncle's OTS). Also, the air from the bowl vents has nowhere to go but towards the fire.

I also usually place the vents for the lid over the food, which in my mind makes me think the hot air has to move over the food to get out. Now I have no proof of if this is a benefit, just makes me feel better.

Hope I somewhat answered your questions. Now back to figuring out what I should cook this weekend!

Lots of great info here .What george said esp. about the wind. I've tried most setups in this post, and I think the most important factor is the wind. With most indirect cooks you're pretty much using your grill as an oven. Think about it would you take your kit. oven outside and put it in a wide open area,or try to tuck it into a protected corner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I also usually place the vents for the lid over the food, which in my mind makes me think the hot air has to move over the food to get out. Now I have no proof of if this is a benefit, just makes me feel better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, exactly what I do too.

If I'm doing strictly indirect (Bar-B-Kettle) I set up 2 coal piles using the wire fences with a drip pan in the center, and many times I'll rotate the grate 180 degrees at some point to try to keep things fairly even.

If I'm combining indirect and direct I fence off a single coal pile to 1 side.

Brad

Most of the time its just charcoal piled to one side, but I need to do a long cook then its the fuse method. This will last about 6 hours or so...
IMG_0044.JPG

My indirect setup is as follows for my OTS:

Smoke-roasting - two fires on either side of the food, usually buring at 350° - 400° grate temp:

SL371354.jpg

Smoking - one fire on one side, usually burning at 225° - 250° grate temp:

SL371194sm.jpg

Barret

Stuart and I are on the same page except that I just use some heavy duty aluminum foil instead of a pan. I even put rosemary on my fire also.

Only once have I had a problem. I was cooking some chicken thighs for competition practice and I spilled some liquified substance (no, I won't say) out of the pan I was cooking in. Made an extremely impressive flame-up that was scary.

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ Sylvester:
Stuart and I are on the same page except that I just use some heavy duty aluminum foil instead of a pan. I even put rosemary on my fire also.

Russ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russ, I have since switched to using aluminum foil as a drip pan. Cheaper, effective, and you can cover the ENTIRE indirect area. I only put Rosemary on the coals when I have an abundance lyin around.

Back