What's the matter here?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ Polke

TVWBB Member
Smoked a few racks of spares this weekend and noticed something during the process. I've had the Smokey Mountain 3 years now and have always been amazed at its ability to hold a temperature between 230*-260* for hours on end. During this smoke, though, I noticed that the temp was running 270*-300*. Thought maybe it was the wind blowing (weather up here has been awful lately!). When i was cleaning the charcoal bowl and put the center section back on, i noticed a gap between the 2 pieces - the center section seemed to become a slight oval. Why would this happen. The only thing I have done different lately is to use sand in the water pan. Could the weight of the sand have pushed out the sides of the center section? What now? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

OK...It's been almost 12 hours since I posted this one and no replies. I find it hard to believe that I've left this crowd speechless... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PJ Polke:
[qb]What now? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Lay the center section on its side on a throw rug or large piece of cardboard. Figure out which way it's out of round with a ruler, yardstick, whatever, and gently apply pressure a little bit at a time to nudge it back into round.

What do you think may have caused this? Like I said, unless this was always like this and I never noticed, the only new thing I've done is to use sand in the water pan. Any ideas?

I cooked with a warped access door for about 2 months and only noticed it in a photo I took. Granted, 3 years is a long time not to notice something, but I can't see where the sand would be a factor. Supported at four points, the weight of the pan would distribute evenly-- and not outward-- I would tend to think.

Thinking about it, I would tend to agree. I'll try to gently round it back and try again. Thanx -- /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back