What's the best charcoal basket for a 26" kettle?

Jon K in PNW

As much as I'd love to buy a SNS for my 26" kettle, I can't justify the $150 price when I already have a pellet smoker. I do need new charcoal baskets though. It looks like Weber doesn't make a larger basket for the 26", does anyone?

Is there a favorite aftermarket charcoal basket?

You can do a lot with the standard Weber Char Baskets, or any of the aftermarket alternatives. I’ve got two sets of them, and I’ve made all sorts of setups with two, three, and four baskets.

I have a SNS for my 26” but I definitely like to try different stuff. 3 Weber baskets makes an interesting configuration.

I mean, I just shove the coals to one side...
I used to do that, until I roached the enamel on my old Kettle. Now that I’m into collecting interesting grills, I want to take care of them but still be able to cook on them.

As much as I'd love to buy a SNS for my 26" kettle, I can't justify the $150 price when I already have a pellet smoker. I do need new charcoal baskets though. It looks like Weber doesn't make a larger basket for the 26", does anyone?

Is there a favorite aftermarket charcoal basket?
You can use two weber baskets and mod them into a single big 26 inch basket with a hand drill, some pliers, a few stainless bolts and nuts and a half hour of free time..

Yup....I made the BnS for my Summit S6 using the two factory baskets. I do everything combination direct/indirect and fits perfectly with my main cooking style. I have not cooked another way since except when smoking....then I use the lower charcoal grate and diffuser.

Yup....I made the BnS for my Summit S6 using the two factory baskets. I do everything combination direct/indirect and fits perfectly with my main cooking style. I have not cooked another way since except when smoking....then I use the lower charcoal grate and diffuser.
same, but even when smoking on bottom grate, i still use the CBs and add some coals in the middle, like a runway down the center. this way cleanup is a snap and i can reuse the old coal in my next fire. i just posted this recent burn rate pic for E/S6 owners: https://tvwbb.com/threads/wsc-e6-3-hour-kpro-burn-rate-300°f.90525/

Read this post and l grabbed an old set of baskets and made this in 5 minutes, used the hole already in the back of the baskets and put a 3/8” nut and washer, I drilled a hole in the front with a step bit and installed another nut and bolt.
I might make another with new baskets, I feel like the SNS doesn’t allow enough heat through in the front when using 2 zone cooking for a reverse sear.
C04E69C7-973C-4EC9-B83F-30D9F412DEE8.jpeg

Last edited:
A few years ago somebody was making aftermarket SS ones.
I looked and couldn't find the old post.

Edit: Found it.

I used mine yesterday worked great. I will make another from newer baskets at some point. Sadly I did like it better than the SNS. I think the grill got much hotter on the cool side, which is exactly what I needed.

Back