What's so great about packers?

Darryl.O

TVWBB Member
Sorry guys, I'm somewhat of a brisket newb. I've smoked several flats that came out absolutely gorgeous. Nicely rubbed all the way around, nice smoke ring, very tender and flavorful.

Packers aren't common around here so when I saw one cryovac'd at my local source I snatched it up.

This weekend I smoked the packer, as well as another flat I had. When they were both done, off the smoker, and well rested, I took the packer out and removed the point (I did not remove it to make burnt ends), and sliced it up. I couldn't help but notice that removal of the point left a huge portion of the brisket that was bare (un-rubbed and rather ugly). After slicing it up, I couldn't help but notice that the slices missing the rub just seemed to lack in overall flavor. Is this what everyone deals with? Or am I missing a step here?

Darryl I agree with you. At hunt camp we cook whole briskets, but at home in spite of the higher price i preferentially cook flats.

1 - Price. In my area, packers are under $2/lb, on sale for about $1/lb. Trimmed flats are in the $4/lb range.

2 - I usually remove the point and cook separately for burnt ends and chopped.

Originally posted by TravisH:
1 - Price. In my area, packers are under $2/lb, on sale for about $1/lb. Trimmed flats are in the $4/lb range.

I can definitely understand price. In the future, I will likely cook the flat and point separate.

PS: Those are some insane prices. I need to move to Texas!

It's all about the point. Once you have tried a piece where the intramuscular fat (marbling) has slightly rendered, mixing with the meats natural gelatin and juices as well as the rub, it is absolute heaven and you won't turn back
icon_wink.gif

Not to mention burnt ends... but I prefer the point in a fatty juicy sliced/shredded form rather than cooked until it is drier.

Originally posted by DavidT.:
It's all about the point. Once you have tried a piece where the intramuscular fat (marbling) has slightly rendered, mixing with the meats natural gelatin and juices as well as the rub, it is absolute heaven and you won't turn back
icon_wink.gif

Not to mention burnt ends... but I prefer the point in a fatty juicy sliced/shredded form rather than cooked until it is drier.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Darryl, to me it's all about flavor. I never had the problem you describe as the flat at the point of separation is just another slice. The interior of which has no rub on it anywhere you slice it. And Fat is where it's at, as far as flavor is concerned. I just wish the packers had a nice big bone running thu it. MMMMMM MMMM good.

If you really don't like the naked spot on your flat, you can split the packer into pieces before the flat is fully cooked.

Then, re-rub the exposed part of the flat and let it finish cooking.

Another great thing about packers is that the flat is great eating sliced or on sandwiches and you can take the point and make delicious chili.

100% agree with Travis. A whole 15lb packer cost about the same as a medium flat. If you're gonna have the smoker going, why not cook more meat? With that said, I love using the food-saver to freeze leftovers and find that most cooked foods are just as good, if not better, as leftovers. If you don't have a food-saver, you just gotta make it a party and get more folks over to help you eat.

Back