Whats so Good about a Rotisserie?

Miller

I am trying to decide between a 22.5 WSM and a 18.5 one.

I really want the 18.5 one as it wont take up a lot of my room. But I heard that the 22.5 comes with the rotisserie.

Can someone please try and justify the rotisserie for me?

Is it really worth it?
I've always thought rotisseries were a gimmick (via the "Set-it-and-forget-It" ad commercials).

So my question is-- what can a rotisserie possibly do that the other methods cant do? What can I do with it?
What does it ensure? I hear alot of gyros employ rotisseries-- but always wondered WHY, instead of just baking it in an oven or putting it on the grill.

Please help.

Welcome to the forum Miller!
Don't know where you heard the 22 WSM comes with a roti... butt if it does, I'm buying one NOW!
...did I say welcome to the forum?? oh yeah, during all this excitement.. i almost forgot.

(last i heard, it doesn't)

Aloha and welcome Miller. In general, rotisserie cooking gives a moister product. I been rotissing whole 125 to 150 lb hogs for over 50 years. The constant rotation of the hog, at 3 to 4 rpm keeps the juices flowing within the hog basically basting it. I also rotiss turkeys and it too comes out moister than any roasted turkey. I am sure anything you rotiss on your Weber will come out fantastic...

joe

I think someone's pulling your leg. The 22 is just the bigger version of the 18. I love my 22, but no roti.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Good info on the roti also.

There seems to be a bit of a stir over whether or not the Weber 22.5 comes with a roti.

Am I wrong here?

Welcome Miller - Sorry but I'm not sure where you heard the 22 comes with a Roti.... I think the big value for me was getting the 22 let me be assured I could cook for a large crowd if need be. I might use the Roti on the WSM, but doubt it. I would probably prefer it for my Kettle. Again Welcome. Enjoy your stay.
icon_smile.gif
Bob

Welcome Miller! I have had my 18 inch WSM for for years. It is a little cramped, particularly when I was trying to do big summer rib cooks. In order to solve this problem I simply bought a second middle section. This worked like a charm. Now I have 3 base racks and with added rib racks I can do 15 slabs at a time with no worries. The unit stores with the added section stacked, so it takes up no additional floor space. I have not looked at the cost of a 24 inch WSM, so I can't comment on the cost difference between buying a 24 inch unit versus an 18 inch unit with an additional center section.

I have a roti for my 24" Weber Kettle, and I think it's the cat's whiskers for any indirect cooks (roasts and birds)

Cheers
Lou

Mr. Miller:

It sounds like somebody got you messed-up between the WSM and the Weber Kettle Grill.

-WSM = think "smoker"
These are typically used for lower-heat, prolonged cooks (but it can be run at high-heat when needed for certain types of cooking).

-Kettle Grills = think "Grilling"
These are typically used for the more "standard" backyard cook-outs, etc. which usually involve higher heats. They are very adaptable to doing other types of cooking, once you get them set-up right - but the WSM is generally easier to use for smoking.

There would really be little or no point in using a rotisserie with a WSM, and as far as I know, it is not available for the WSM (at least, not directly from Weber).

However, if you are talking about the Weber Kettle Grill (Silver, Platinum, Performer, etc.), then a Rotisserie becomes a really nice accessory item to have - particulary if succulent "roast yard bird" is something you like to see on your menu...

Using a chicken as an example - a Rotisserie "self-bastes" the meat in its own juices. In ordinary / indirect cooking, as the bird sits on the grate, the juices would drip-off, usually into a drip-pan. With a rotisserie, as the bird rotates on the spit, the juices at the bottom get at least partially re-absorbed as the bottom becomes the new side or top due to the rotation action. This way, with minimal effort, you get a nice juicy chicken with great crispy skin!

(Maybe this post should be moved to Weber Grills?)

I've had my rotisserie for over a year and would recommend one to anyone who is "sitting on the fence"...perfect chicken every time!

it takes a little tweaking of the counterweight to get the spit to rotate smoothly, but besides that, its very easy to set up and use...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miller:
I am trying to decide between a 22.5 WSM and a 18.5 one.

I really want the 18.5 one as it wont take up a lot of my room. But I heard that the 22.5 comes with the rotisserie.

Can someone please try and justify the rotisserie for me?

Is it really worth it? I've always thought rotisseries were a gimmick (via the "Set-it-and-forget-It" ad commercials).

So my question is-- what can a rotisserie possibly do that the other methods cant do? What can I do with it?
What does it ensure? I hear alot of gyros employ rotisseries-- but always wondered WHY, instead of just baking it in an oven or putting it on the grill.

Please help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Showtime Rotisserie is not a "gimmick" They make some mighty fine chicken and leg o lamb for when the weather outside is too nasty to use charcoal. And welcome to the board!

Back