Whats better for rookie ribs 3-2-1 or 3-1-2 method

M Duckett

Just curious as to which is more commonly used for bb ribs? Ive read bout both on here And what temp?water or no water ?thanks for any advice

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M Duckett:
Just curious as to which is more commonly used for bb ribs? Ive read bout both on here And what temp?water or no water ?thanks for any advice </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a dry, foiled pan and cook at 260-280 degrees lid vent temp. No foiling of the ribs except if I need to hold them at temp for awhile in a cooler. Cooking time is variable but I start checking for tender after 3 1/2 hours then every 30 minutes if necessary. When a probe goes between the bones esily they're ready. Personally, I don't care for fall off the abone tender but like a little resistance when I take a bite.

I am still a rookie so take everything I'm about to say with a grain of salt!

I have cooked spares three times and have used the 2,1,1 method with excellent results!

I like to just put them on, and don't mess with them at all until I start checking for done. Maybe 3 hours in for backs, and 4 hours in for spares, if I'm cooking around 250ish.

I did my first set last weekend non baby back. Total cooking time was four hours at 250 degrees. The first two hours, I cooked them uncovered. The next two hours, I cooked foiled. Try them both ways and you decide what you prefer.

I followed Harry Soo's method for my first and 2nd racks, that seemed to work out just fine for me.

Basically, cook at 275 no water in pan, check bark after 2-3 hours, then foil wrap for last hour and check every 15-20 minutes for doneness.

Along with the above, I'm pretty simple in that I use no water/sand/clay and leave the ribs on until they are done. I generally don't foil but will when timing is a factor (darn guests, and they eat your food too
icon_smile.gif
). You'll figure out what works best for you but generally, following a set method should give you fairly consistent results.

Note that "fairly consistent" is subjective and the reason why this forum has so many active posts
icon_smile.gif

I have had good success with the Best Ribs in the Universe Recipe.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

I typically cook baby backs but I'm going to use the same recipe for spares tomorrow extending the cooking time.

I wouldn't rely on just time as every set of ribs is different. Use the tear test, picking them up under center and looking for the meat to just barely break at the top center.

I typically cook with water in the pan even for ribs, sometimes I foil it and leave it empty, I seem to have better results with water in the pan.

I'm not a fan of foiling ribs so far but I'm going to try it again this summer.

Back