Whatever happened to Drip "Cans"

Sam-TX

TVWBB Fan
Thinking back as a young child, I remember we had a grill with a literal drip can, like one of those aluminum cans for corn or whatever.

That thing never leaked, broke, or corroded, was always available, and dirt cheap.

Now in modern 2023 we have these, for $1.40 each. A can of sweet corn costs $0.71 and comes with a can and a whole half pound of cooked sweet corn. When did we start accepting the stupid??? o_O

I have this spiffy 1986 Sunbeam glass front grill with dual drip can holders that I rehabbed on a nostalgia bender. New burner, new igniter, new collector box, new lava rocks, etc. I’m over $150 into parts and labor on it and currently have it listed for FREE on the Marketplace and it still hasn’t gone away after 2 days.

Sunbeam Grill

IMG_0311.jpeg

I knew The Judge was only good as a novelty keeper. It’s a shame, because that one looks great!

I think Dad's old Arkla had the "tin can" grease catcher. Made sense and you got a free replacement with every new can of beans. The Arkla was bigger than the little Sunbeams but I think it only had one can.
I think Arkla was bought out by Sunbeam at some point and wouldn't be surprised if they shared a similar design.

I have this spiffy 1986 Sunbeam glass front grill with dual drip can holders that I rehabbed on a nostalgia bender. New burner, new igniter, new collector box, new lava rocks, etc. I’m over $150 into parts and labor on it and currently have it listed for FREE on the Marketplace and it still hasn’t gone away after 2 days.

Sunbeam Grill

View attachment 78122
Put a sign on it asking for $100 and it'll be gone in a heartbeat! Thieves can't pass up a good deal :)

Back