What would you pay for a new EX6 1st Generation?

Alan Benoit

TVWBB Member
My local big-box Outlet Store has a stack of EX6's that have been there since last fall. These are clearly 1st generation models as noted by the serial number (see photo). They started out last fall at $649 and are now down to $498 (and don't appear to be moving at that price either as I go by and check every couple of weeks). This is new inventory, not returns according to the store. There is no guarantee of any warranty, though other than the store's 30 day return policy.

I thought about buying one of these last fall, but then I saw on YouTube and this forum about all the issues with the 1st generation models. I might still be tempted to pull the trigger if they dropped the price another $100-$200 as I want a weekday pellet or gas grill to complement my Summit Kamado I use on the weekends. I figure even if I had to buy the generation 2 upgrade parts from Weber I might still be ahead.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Smokefire.jpg
    Smokefire.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 12
Weber should support the warranty if you are the original owner, and I've read Weber will provide all the parts to upgrade a Gen 1 SF to current specs.

If I was in the market, I'd get one. $500 is a great price.

I'd get it home, register it, then call weber. If you have 30 days to return it, you should be get an answer from weber in 30 days, likely on the first phone call if you have it registered, and have a pic of the receipt and the cover of the manual with the SN.

You’ll need the warranty, I would snatch one up right now.
All I ever did to my day one Gen one is remove the finger guard and update. Oh and a huge upgrade was the welded auger, I almost forgot about that. It was truly a different machine once the welded auger was installed. I haven’t had issues in a very long time.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine they wouldn’t honor the warranty. Like Dan said buy it, register it. Test Weber out right away and request welded auger chute. It’s a must have.

That's a very good deal and the guys told you how to get it covered by warranty. FYI most of the negatives you hear about the 1st generation grills just isn't the norm. Those of us that have been willing to wait out the software updates and operate the grill like it needs to be run have been rewarded with a versatile grill that turns out great tasting food. This January I picked up a used Gen1 EX4 to go with my EX6. The only mechanical change is the welded auger chute assembly. Enjoy.

If you wait too hard on the price, the big box store may simply sell the whole stack to somebody else that specializes in buying stale inventory, and you will have lost your chance. I feel like, in your case, that time is coming.

Might be worth asking mgr for better price. No harm is they say no.
$500 is what the gen 2s were being blown out in Houston area Several months ago along with the covers. The covers are actually pretty nice especially at 30 bucks.

At that price, any frustrations you encounter become more palatable. I’d also agree that it’s worth asking if they’d take less since they don’t seem to be selling. If Weber will warranty it and send you the welded chute, seems like a steal.

I pulled the trigger today at lunch as I had somebody available to help me get it home and unloaded. No dice when I asked for a discount, but I did sign up for the store's credit card that gave me a 20%/$100 sign-up discount. Final price out the door was right at $400 and it's in my garage. I have already registered for the warranty with Weber with no problems. I'm going to take my time with assembly and might even wait to assemble until I am (hopefully) able to get the Gen. 2 upgrade parts from Weber.

I pulled the trigger today at lunch as I had somebody available to help me get it home and unloaded. No dice when I asked for a discount, but I did sign up for the store's credit card that gave me a 20%/$100 sign-up discount. Final price out the door was right at $400 and it's in my garage. I have already registered for the warranty with Weber with no problems. I'm going to take my time with assembly and might even wait to assemble until I am (hopefully) able to get the Gen. 2 upgrade parts from Weber.
Congratulations. If you'll download the BILT app it will walk you through assembly and it's good. The Gen2 welded auger chute assembly is worth installing but the ramp insert decreases pellet capacity by 2 lbs. and makes little improvement in pellet flow. That's just my opinion based on installing it in my Gen1 and removing it 4 months later. Either waxing the long slope in the hopper or covering it with UHMW tape will improve pellet flow. Have fun.

Do the tape as Lew suggested, I have not done it but I have heeard it works. One of those things you want to do while it’s clean.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm definitely going to get some of that tape for assembly. With that mod do you guys trust it for an overnight cook without having to re-fill the pellets?

If you ever do a store credit card discount, your next step is to (before you leave the store) pay off the balance and get a receipt. When you get home you should cancel the account and shred any cards if you don't really actually want it - which you probably don't because stores take Visa, etc.

Back