What uses more propane?

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I am prepping to season a new Weber CI GBS skillet. Most directions I found online say to bake it in the oven for an hour at 350 - 450F. So, my thought is, maybe it would be just easier to do it in my Genesis three burner grill. It seems like firing up an oven at 350F for an hour at a time just to season a pan is maybe a little wasteful. Would I use less LP in my grill? Or is the oven a better option since it is much more efficient?

I thought about trying to combine it with actually cooking something at the same time, but it seems like that is just making it more difficult than it should be. I am thinking oven, especially since the bulk LP that the oven uses is about half price of the LP in a 20lb tank. Also, I have seen temps everywhere from 350F to 450F. What temp would you use?

Does that really relate Larry? Since the oven only fires up when the ambient temp gets out of range. The grill however runs non-stop and has much better heat retention properties?
But, the grill is rated at 39000 BTUs, I believe. No idea on the oven. I was hoping it would be a no question/hands down answer.

Does that really relate Larry? Since the oven only fires up when the ambient temp gets out of range. The grill however runs non-stop and has much better heat retention properties?
But, the grill is rated at 39000 BTUs, I believe. No idea on the oven. I was hoping it would be a no question/hands down answer.
IN all likelihood your oven will use less fuel. It is likely the oven only uses maybe 15k. Due to it being a closed box. And inside a heated home. Whereas the grill, is a closed box but uninsulated, running outdoors in unheated space so it has to not only overcome heating itself up but also needing to overcome weather conditions. The indoor oven in winter has the added benefit of giving your home some heat as well

My wife has Smithey CI and they have directions to season on the stovetop. WAY easier than oven or grill.

1. Apply thin layer of oil with paper towel.

2. Put on burner on high until the oil is smoking.

3. Remove from heat and apply another thin layer of oil with paper towel to hot pan.

4. Let cool and repeat as to your liking.

That's what I've done with all her Smithey stuff and my Lodge stuff and all have worked out great.

I saw a how to like that, but I saw others say that leads to uneven seasoning or something like that. IMO, I would think it would work, because after an initial seasoning, that is basically how it stays seasoned is by using it on the stove..

I saw a how to like that, but I saw others say that leads to uneven seasoning or something like that. IMO, I would think it would work, because after an initial seasoning, that is basically how it stays seasoned is by using it on the stove..
It's how Smithey says it can be done and ours are really well seasoned. For me I always know it's done well when my wife makes cornbread and she just turns the pan over and the whole thing slides right out every time.

Back