What to use for the work table brackets?

Jayde

I just started my first restore of a Genesis 1000 and need some help. The brackets that the Durawood is screwed into is completely rusted. I called Weber, and they do not have this part available.

What can I use for a suitable replacement? Thanks!

Sure! I am planning on replacing the Durawood with real wood as well. I like the look much better.

-Jayde

Last edited:
The frame is just fine, no rust. All of the brackets are like this so they must have been taken off the grill and left out in the weather. The guy I bought it from said the grill was sold with the house when he bought it and used it for 2 years before replacing it.

I think those Z brackets can be saved

Try soaking them in navel jelly. Naval Jelly Link
If they are not just falling apart, you should be able to save them. Even if there are minor chip in the metal should be ok. Worst case you could have new z brackets made at a sheet metal shop but that might get expensive. How are the hinge brackets? If they are shot, take a look at this link. Look at the image at the bottom of the page. A few of these would work.

Good luck.

Thanks! I'll give the naval jelly a shot. I am not sure they all can be saved, as I took them off the grill a few of them started falling apart. Saturday I am going to be hunting around the hardware store looking for a fix.

Here is a thought. If you can salvage at least three of them then you could use angle iron on the bottom two sections and set the wood slats on the angle iron.

I went round and round with this trying to convert a newer plastic table'd genesis to the wood style.

I spent 3 hours on a saturday morning researching Z brackets, including 'z bar stock' and trying to find a solution......

Aftermarket options are pretty much limited to rcplanebuyer (search on ebay), he will custom make them but they're quite pricey. The quality is amazing, but since I needed 6 brackets the price was more than what I paid for the grill and all refurb parts. There are some inexpensive aluminum z stock used for sheetrock but it's very thin and flexible. McMaster Carr sells stainless Z stock but at 1" it would overlap the edge of the frame.

I ended up doing this and am quite happy with it. Cedar:

IMG_0868%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Last edited:
Your Genesis is looking NICE! Did you use screws through the metal and up into the cedar?
I've been on the lookout on craigslist (San Francisco/Sacramento area) for a while to make just a cart. Thanks for posting and giving me ideas on my cart.

Back