What to Smoke, What to Smoke

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey all,
Just got off-call for the weekend. Now I am looking foward to this coming weekend as I am NOT on call to work. My time. I know it's only Monday. Buy I am planning to smoke something this weekend. I would like to improve on my rib smokin technique. I am not 100% satified with my spare ribs. They turn out better than OK, but just not the best.
Is there a rib expert out there with any andvance advise? I know there are a few. I don't like to mop, just like em plain.
What type of wood? what is the best rib type? What is the best simple prep & rub? Like I said, I got all week to plan it.

I cant find who said it 1st, but are great words.
I used to smoke when I drink, now I drink when I smoke!!

I'm a big fan of spares over baby backs, but that is just me. It took me a while to get ribs down to a consistently great result. One of the posts that really helped me was this one. It doesn't get into specific rub recipes, but the advice was very helpful.

What haven't you been thrilled with in regard to your ribs? Texture? Tenderness? Flavor?

I am no expert but I have found the best to be the baby backs as well. Spare ribs are not as tender to me and harder to get perfect. A few cooks ago I tried cherry wood and was really suprised how good they were. Oak is my favorite. I use a spray bottle of apple juice, only if needed to keep moist. I wash and skin my ribs the night before and add my rub and wrapped in a foil pan and put in the fridge about 12-24 hours. Pop open a beverage and enjoy.

Back