What to do with the water pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba Kerstenn

TVWBB Member
I have seen some talk on the water pan.Didnt really pay that much to it as at the time I didnt have one(A WSM that is). Seeing how some was water in the pan and some do not. I do not use a water pan in the pit I have now but wanted to see what the people that have had there WSM's for some time.
Sorry for restarting something you have already talked about in the past, but as a new owner now I am ready to pay more attenchen.

There are no such things a dumb answers, only dumb responses. This is where I can contribute.
icon_smile.gif

1. Fill with water and use as designed. It acts as a heat sink and helps to keep temps low. You'll burn a little more charcoal as water absorbs a LOT of heat. You will also want to keep it topped off. If it dries out on you, there might be a pretty good temp spike.

2. Fill with sand and cover with foil. Simple cleanup, but if the temp spikes, its more difficult to bring it back down. Bring the smoker up to temp carefully. There is also less risk of spilling water into the charcoal and risking steam burns and a big mess to boot.

3. Replace the WSM water pan with a Brinkman Charcoal pan. It is much higher capacity and requires less attention. It also fits the brackets better, or so I'm told.

4. Invest even more money and buy a bbqGuru and don't put anything in the pan other than a few sheets of aluminum foil.

I would suggest that you start out with water in the pan just like the instructions say. Get a couple of successes under your belt and then consider trying some of the other options.

Most of all, have fun.

Bubba

I think you would lose some of the benefit of temp control if you didn't use some version of a heat sink for long/slow cooks. Water is a good way to start and the WSM pan is fine. Keep it full. The replacement Brinkman charcoal pan is twice the size and more stable within the cooker. Helps with overnights for butts/briskets. I don't foil the pan inside or out, but some do. Trying to foil the Brinkman on the inside will cause you a problem.

You're in Fla and if you're close to Academy Sports, the Brinkman charcoal pan is only about $5.

Sand in the water pan is another option but I would wait to try it. Use your WSM pan and foil the inside, fill 2/3 and foil over the top of the sand. Less clean up problem but heat can get away from you.

Good luck with your WSM and enjoy.

Paul

So if I am understanding correct, if I already plan on using the GURU (I already have one with the 10 cfm fan) I wont need to use water in the pan? Or should I use some foil in the pan if I plan not to use water?
Or should i just use water in the pan along with the GURU and just see how it goes.

When using the GURU, do not put water in the pan. Put three layers of crumpled aluminum foil in the fan to act as insulation layers and one clean sheet of foil to catch drippings. A water or sand heat sink will "confuse" the bbqGuru.

Bubba, what Chet said is true, just foil your pan, but you MUST use the pan...even with the Guru. Also, when you foil, use one LARGE sheet, don't piece 2 sheets together to cover your pan, or goo will possibly "wick up" and into your fire (a common problem if you are using foiled pan with water, and more than 1 sheet of foil).

Chet
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Put three layers of crumpled aluminum foil in the fan to act as insulation layers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
1. I assume you mean "pan" and not "fan"?
icon_wink.gif

2. Crumpled foil? I hadn't heard that one before, I usually just put one layer of foil for the drippings. Where did you hear to do that, and could you explain it further please? Gracias!

Hey, thanks for that link Chet, I hadn't seen that...I'll give it a try. I was wondering about there being too much heat from the fire if I just had one layer of foil. I think my bottom grate food has been finishing faster than the top grate food as a result. This is definitely something I'll try!
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back