What to do with a scrawny brisket?

The slaughterhouse that handled the last side of beef we bought really butchered the brisket cutting. They cut the point off (I have no idea what they did with it, but I suspect it went into the hamburger) and trimmed the living daylights out of the flat. Seriously, it looks like a flank steak at the thin end! There is virtually no fat on it.

It's so thin that I'm not going to bother cooking it traditionally, because I know what the result will be. So, what should I do with this tough piece of meat?

Suggestions appreciated!

An oven brisket Jewish style will work well on that piece since it’s cooked in water which becomes a jus.

I have a great brisket recipe, and if you were willing to add a bit of fat (like some bacon?) it would probably turn out awesome! But it's not a grill recipe. So that might disqualify it. *hangs head*

I have a great brisket recipe, and if you were willing to add a bit of fat (like some bacon?) it would probably turn out awesome! But it's not a grill recipe. So that might disqualify it. *hangs head*
I agree. My sister had a skinny flat and I suggested a bacon weave on it. She said it came out well(?).

I'd try it, but don't want to buy a skinny brisket.

Back