What to do with a pork loin?

Chris Mason

TVWBB Fan
I bought a big pork loin (not tenderloin) a few months back with the intent of making it into Canadian Bacon. Since then, I've lost my interest in making (or even eating) CB so I'm looking for something else to do with it.

Suggestions?

The loin is 9 lbs and it's basically a big tube ~2.5 feet long and ~2 feet around. I'll have to cut it in half to fit it in my WSM or Kettle which is fine.

Thanks in advance.

I would cut in half and smoke both or freeze the other half for later chops or whole.

See here: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...=203100156#203100156

and here: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/701107086

Let us know how it goes
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Chris,this is an Emeril recipe,but very yummy! Take your loin and poke a bunch of holes in it. In each hole,add a whole clove of garlic and a drop of hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper,then smear with mustard. Roast HH until it comes to 145* and enjoy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Roast HH until it comes to 145* and enjoy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Phil, that would be indirect HH, would it not? I've got a frozen loin waiting to be grilled, I'm looking to do something different with....

Inject with beer, butter, and garlic. And use your favorite Pork rub. Do all that the night before your cook. The day of your cook let sit at room temp for atleast a half hour and then cover with bacon and throw it on.

Alot of things to do with pork loin. I get them all the time. I usually Center cut it and will save that and butterfly it and stuff it. The rest I cut into thick chops. To use these I cut a pocket into them and stuff these as well or I can cut them in half again and just season them and grill.

Stuff it!!!!!!! There are a few recipes here for that and it is awesome. Cook it 325, no wood. It is great.

I would make a "black and white". Cut the pork into a long flat piece of meat, do the same with a tenderloin, we get them quite cheap here where I live, (from Brazil) add pepper, fresh spices, butter, roll it up, bind it up and hot smoke.

I have cooked the combination in the oven lots of times, never hot smoked, but what could go wrong?

We buy 4 or 5 when there on sale. I dust them with my "House" seasoning, the Vacuum seal and freeze. I cook them different ways. On the rotisserie, HH indirect, or like tonight, I cut one into chops. Did a quick sear and then indirect with a couple of Russets. Loins are very versatile.

Well, perfect timing for this thread. I'm cooking one today. I have 3 full length pork loin halves. I usually cut the narrow end into chops and roasts and cut the sirloin end which tends to be fattier and more uneven into chunks of pork to grind up for sausage.

I like 8-12 " roasts rubbed with a fresh herb and garlic rub and cooked on top of a cedar plank in my 22" kettle BBQ. I have cooked the whole pork loin half when cooking for a crowd but it's a lot of meat. Temp around 325-350 with lump charcoal. The soaked plank is directly over the coals but the roast cooks indirect of course. It doesn't take a lot of charcoal to maintain 325 so watch it.

I serve it with jalapeno pineapple salsa. Now normally I dislike pineapple in anything but drinks but this salsa is a keeper. I usually use canned diced pineapple but I have used fresh also. I found some fresh poblano peppers here in Ontario which is about as easy as building a snowman in Florida but there they were at the farmers market. They didn't even know what they were, they called them ancho peppers and wouldn't believe me when I explained the difference but whatever. I plan to throw some into this salsa today I think. Post if you want me to write up the recipe for the rub and salsa.

Go Colts.

Great ideas in here, guys. Thanks very much. I'm thinking I will cut the loin in half and smoke one of the halves (not sure of the details on that one yet). The other half (or maybe less) I will probably cut into thick chops (at least one of which will be stuffed with something yummy) and grill them.

Cut it in half length wise. Now cut across into 1.5 inch pieces. Coat pieces with BRITU rub. Smoke at 275° for about 90 minutes to 160°. You now have pig wings for the game.

To bad your a pats fan.
icon_wink.gif
Green Bay all the way!

Dennis,the last couple of weekends,I've made pinwheels out of pork loins. Butterfly until it lays flat,stuff with your choice of stuffing (I've been using a spinach stuffing) roll and tie,and cook indirect until done! Good stuff!

Thanks Phil, I had already put it in the marinade (the Oj one) from this site. I hope it turns out well. Did a brisket yesterday, and it came out wonderful! Never did a pork loin in the WSM. I am guessing 300 deg, and some apple wood will work.

Back