What to charge?

Eric G

TVWBB Fan
Ok well basically a coworker has asked me to cook some BBQ for her daughter's bday party. She has asked me to cook 2 butts about 10-12lbs in size for some pulled pork and 6 racks of BBs. I am not buying the meat either which is a no no for allot of you but I had said I picked up all of my stuff at BJs and she is also a member so she said she would pick it up. Other than that I am not cooking or supplying anything. My simple question what is a fair price to charge for cooking this BBq for her? She is supplying everything but the Rub, Fuel, and Smoke Wood. She estimates that there will be approximately 18 adults and since its 12yr olds bday a bunch of young adults.

Eric,

Will you be doing any of the cooking on-site, or can you make everything in advance at home?

For me, it would depend on the relationship I have with the coworker. If she is someone that you would want to have a few beers with while you cook, I wouldn't charge much. Just enough to cover your supplies.

If it's more of a hassle than enjoyment, charge more - maybe $50?

Thanks for the response Pat she is a nice person and we get along great. I forgot to mention that I will be cooking the Butts on 1 of the WSMs at home and cooking the 6 BBs on my other WSM on site.

Hi Eric, depending on how close you and this co-worker are, I'd be lean towards doing it gratis. For me I don't get to smoke all that often so it's an excuse to breakout the smoker, drink some beer and relax. If they're uncomfortable not paying you (as they well may be), tell them just to pickup an extra butt for you to freeze, a bottle of wine or some beer.

My .02

EDIT: I should also add I'm a bit of an ego maniac and just hearing people rave about my Q and seeing them go back for seconds and thirds is payment enough sometimes.

I've never cooked for other's parties, just my own. But I'd just tell her "buy my beer and it's all good". I'd guess they'd at least buy you beer and offer the fuel and wood cost....It's up to you whether you accept it or not.

Coworker and you do it for free, every coworker you know and don't know will expect you to do it for free once the word travels around. Trust me on this one.
icon_wink.gif
Since you are friends and she is supplying most everything, I'd say $25.00 for a friend.

If it was a co worker of mine I would do it free gratus. Like someone said tell um to buy the refreshments(drinks) and sit around and talk smack. I don't know your finances but if they are tight ask them to cover your expenses. I think they would understand. Just my 2 cents

I've done it a couple times free of charge but the time is coming where I'll have to change that. I'll start with cost coverage and go from there.. It's hard when you started out free.
icon_wink.gif

Bill

$50 bucks minimum. You'll be up up all night, and you'll have to clean the smoker.

I've done it both ways...they supply meat and I just cook...or I buy and cook.

I just cooked for a party I was invited to a couple of weeks ago (2 butts, 1 brisket) and charged $140.

Bringing a fresh cooked brisket takes a lot of planning and monitoring. Butts are easy, but they also wanted brisket, so up goes the price.

My meat cost was not quite $50. Fuel was $10. Rub/sauce, another couple of bucks.

I only supplied the meat and sauce....all sides and paper were their responsibility.

If you are good AND consistent at it, DO NOT be afraid to charge.

BTW- I used to do add on butts for free but stopped quickly....(hey, throw me one on there and I'll pay you).....now the add on butt costs $40, and I am more than happy to do so.

I'd say cover my beer tab, gas costs to get there, if it's not in the area, and not tell all my co-workers that it was essentially free. The word of mouth advertising might get you a regular gig from time to time, if that's what you want. But like Bryan pointed out, you don't want 20 phone calls in one week from people asking for a freebie.

Eric, it truly depends on your relationship with her. Do you consider her a good friend or strictly a coworker?

My neighbor (who I have talked to maybe a total of 10 times and have known for a year) asked me to help with his daughters bbq on Sunday. First of all, I don't have to balls to ask for money. Second, if I was offered any, I would refuse. As long as everything is supplied and there is a constant supply of food and drinks, I am happy. As Larry stated above, compliments would be greatly appreciated.

Erik

Eric,

Look deep inside your heart....the answer can be found there. Most of life's questions can be answered that way....sometimes we just want someone else to agree with us.
icon_smile.gif

If the person who asked me was not a pretty good friend, as in if I was even considering asking for money because I didn't want to do it for free, I would just politely decline altogether.

If I was in this to make money, then I'd start a business or join one.

When someone does ask, and if I do want to dedicate my time for free, I'm happy with them buying the meat or dropping me off a case of beer, etc. I don't worry about fuel or wood or rub or sauce costs. This is a hobby for me, and like most all hobbies, it has a cost associated with it. A lot of hobbies only make *you* happy, this one potentially can make *a lot* of people happy. That's good enough for me.

My 2 cents.

Todd

Well I pretty much just asked her to cover my expenses and get me a 6 pack. She is a good friend and I didnt want to put a wrench into the situation by over charging her. Now if any of her family finds out, they arent getting the same deal she got.

I've done many favors like that in the past too.

Still do sometimes.

You can go either way about charging, and IF you decide to charge, and IF you are consistent, friends/associates really don't mind paying you.

For me, this has been a lifelong hobby that has turned into a really good skill.

I know that what comes off of my smokers is better than most restaurants/que joints, and friends/associates know this as well.

That's why they always offer to pay. I've never solicited any cooking deals.

JMO.

It's amazing what word of mouth advertising will do for you. My dad started up less than a year ago doing bbq for events. It just keeps growing and growing. He started out by making his own bacon and pastrami. All it took was sending some to work with his wife, then the next thing you know, the orders start pilling in.

I know when he started out, he was only charging what his material costs were. He said if he was doing this for a living, he'd be loosing money. But for him, he just retired, so its all for kicks.

Within about 4 or 5 months of his food being out, he was making all of the bacon for Sierra Nevada Brewery. Their restaurant is a great place to meet friends and enjoy a beer or four, as well as some good eats.

Now he is getting much more serious and dedicated to it. Everything he does is done over almond wood, so it has a nice, but slighly different smokiness, in a good way.

If cooking for a coworker or friend and they were
supplying the meat, my services would be a gift.

Back