What to buy?

I know these topics are a dime-a-dozen, but I thought I would start one of my own. My gas Char-Broil has finally rusted over (lasted 4 seasons, not shabby for a POS) and I'm in the market for something new. Some basic info that may help the decision process:

- I am primarily a warm weather, casual weekend griller. In the past, I've gotten about a dozen grilling sessions into a season. That said, I'm looking to grill more this year.
- My experience thus far has been only with gas
- My grilling basics include burgers, dogs, sausages and the occasional chicken breast. However, I'm interested in moving up into ribs, briskets, butts, etc.
- Most of my grilling is only for the wife and myself. We do have larger cookouts with 10-12 people a few times each year.
- I've set a fairly strict budget at $400, which eliminates everything but the entry-level Webers and charcoal.
- This will be my primary (and ONLY) grill. The patio just isn't big enough...

From what I've gathered on the forums, I've limited it down to a list of 5 to research:

1. Weber Performer: Would this be okay for an only grill - even for spur of the moment casual use? Would the gas assist lighting really help in my transition from gas to charcoal?
2. Weber Spirit E-210: 350sq. inches might be enough for the wife and myself, but I would think this is way too small for any cookouts?
3. Weber Q-300: Advantages/disadvantages vs. the Spirit?
4. Weber Q-320: Appears to be a "deluxe" 300.
5. Ducane Affinity 3100: Best specs and price of any of the gassers on this list, but some say quality has declined?

Given the information above, which would you choose and why? Are there any I should scratch from the list? Did I ask enough questions for a first post?

Thanks everyone!

I purchased a genesis a couple years ago because my grandmother has one and I knew it lasted a long time. This past week I just ordered her new flavorizer bars and new burners because they were both rusted out. I found out as I was taking out the parts the grill was made in 1993. Not too bad.

Anyway, all I had ever used was gas but after I got the gasser I wanted charcoal to go with it. I got a performer and it was very easy to pick up for someone who has always used gas.

I love my genesis and use it more then my performer, but my performer has become my favorite. I am not sure my answer helps any but really just want to say I think you will be very happy if you go with a performer.

Thanks Lee. Your post definitely reassured me that it's worthy of considering.

Everything I've read says the Performer is probably the best pick of the bunch IF I'm willing to go charcoal-only. The only problem I've had is deciding if I can make the switch cold-turkey. I don't do a lot of midweek grilling as it is, so I don't think the slightly extra prep time would be an issue. However, I'm not sure how I feel about managing temperatures and hot spots, etc. after being used to turning a few knobs...

Anyone have further opinions on the gassers on this list (or the Performer for that matter)?

I don't post here often but felt I had to reply. I bought a Genesis Gold B in 2005, loved it, The best Gasser I have used. 1 year later my wife gave me a performer for a birthday present. The Genesis now sits covered 90% of the time. The performer is so easy to use and everything just tastes better using a good quality lump coal and wood chips for flavor. I went performer and have never looked back!

I am like Eric in that I got a Genesis and 1 summer later got a Performer. I use the Performer WAY more than I thought I would. My vote would be for the Performer,especially if you want to get into smoking, which doesn't lend itself to gas well.

I got a Performer a couple years ago thinking that would be my "weekend grill", for when I had all the extra time required for charcoal. In all honesty, I think I've used my gasser less than half a dozen times since then. Truth is, yes, the charcoal takes an extra ten minutes or so to be ready. But I've found that I wasn't grilling during that time on the gasser anyway. I was still prepping and just wasting propane.
icon_smile.gif
Now, I set up the charcoal, light it and go inside. By the time I've washed my hands and maybe grabbed some smoke wood, I run back out to turn off the gas. 15 minutes later, the coals are ready. I dump them and let the grill grates heat for about five more minutes. That's it. Everything tastes better, and I can "smoke" ribs, roasts, etc on the Performer. There was a learning curve with the charcoal, but you learn fast. When my gasser dies, I'll probably replace it with a 26in kettle, just for the space. At some point, I might pick up a Q on Craigslist, just to have something quick and easy for those times I really don't want to mess w/ the charcoal.

I dont really like gas as a heat source. I think it lacks the flavour i wanna get when i grill.

But what i think dont really matter if you love gas grilled food.

For me its a no brainer. 1+ on the performer
icon_smile.gif

Let me say this as well. I put that I use my genesis more then the performer (I used the genesis last night for that matter). The reason I use the gasser more is not because the time difference getting the gasser going vs getting the charcoal going but rather the time it takes for them to cool off. The temp control is so good in the kettle (performer) that I shut the vents and the temp drops almost instantly. That is great when it comes to grilling/smoking, but when it is time for me put the grill away it can be a little too hot for my comfort.

I would narrow down the list to 1) performer and 4) Q320. After that, you have to make a "from the gut" call on whether you want gas or charcoal. If it were me, I'd buy them both.

Many of us prefer charcoal. It is my first choice for use at home.

The Spirit is not made anymore. You may be able to find old stock.

Ducane. I think it is made by weber, but here on a weber board, you will find more love for Weber branded stuff.

The Q320 is the same as the Q300 with three more features: warming rack, electronic starter instead of piezo starter and 3) thermometer. I think, given how long these grills can last, the extras are worth the few dollars more.

I have multiple grills including a Q220. I don't think the Q's get enough love here. They are really great grills. I bought mine because I wanted a portable grill. I used to haul my kettle around, but charcoal grills are dirty to haul around. A q320 is about the same size as a 22.5.

I have a 26, but I wish I had bought a Performer. More toys are available for the 22.5 size kettle. The table from a performer is stronger than the legs on the kettle. You get the starting system, coal storage, etc.

Like many others that have responded I have a genesis and a performer. I love them both. The performer gives better flavor for steaks. The genesis is able to maintain a temperature for a long period of time and gets used for pork loins.

When all is said and done there is something satisfying about charcoal cooking.

Mike

I own a 2008 Genesis and love it. Unfortunately one year later I used charcoal for the 1st time ever and it's now my preferred way to cook! That being said, depending on where you live may help your decision. In the winter here in Niagara Falls I do use my Genesis more because of the ease of use and steadier temps while grilling in the cold.

Just some food for thought. From your list though, if it were me and I was starting over again I would get the Performer.

If I had to pick one of my grills it would definitely be the Performer, but based on what you said that may not be the best choice for you.

Charcoal is messy and it's more work. You have to be willing to deal with charcoal stains on the patio, taking more time with your cooks, and your clothes constantly smelling like smoke. It doesn't feel like it when you get bitten by the bug, but it's kind of a committment. If you end up not liking charcoal, all you are going to see are the downsides and you'll never use it.

I would just hate for you to invest in the wrong grill and never use it...particularly when you would definitely use a gasser.

I think i'd probably recommend getting a cheaper Craigslist kettle or craigslist performer and play with that for a few months. See what you think. That way if it's not for you, you can sell it for what you paid for it and get a gasser later.

Back