What time should I put the Boston Butt on?

Tim (the grillaholic)

TVWBB Super Fan
Alright guys here's the skinny; I'm going to try a Mr. Brown an some baby backs Sunday. I have smoked ribs, and they turned out fine. now, we have some friends coming over and I want to steo up to some pulled pork. I purchased a 7.3 lb butt from Harris Teeter, so I figure after trimming, it should way around 6 lbs or so. I would like to eat around 6ish, so I was planning on firing up the smoker around 4 and getting the butt on by five. will this leave me enough time, or should I get it on the smoker earlier? Also, what rack should I place the butt on from the start, and should I change racks once I put the ribs on?
Thanks for any info!

If you run 250º~275º, then starting at 5am with a 30~60 min rest before pulling should be enough to be table ready by 6pm.

It's better to finish early with butts as they will easily hold for 3~4 hours in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels.

If you're going to add ribs later on, then start the butt on the lower grate and then you don't have to mess with moving it.

Butts are bulletproof so don't worry about messing it up.

Agreed. And if you're firing up the smoker at 4 put the butt on then. No need to wait. Minion the start and load the meat right in. You'll then be catching the temps on the way up then making adjustments accordingly. Easier, and the meat gets a head start.

Here goes, 04:40, just waiting for the flames to die down on the chimney. Hope to have the BB on the smoker in about 5 mins. Gonna fill the water bowl, and try to keep the temp around 250. Will post some pics later.
Thanks again.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

All I can say is "WOW!". I finally got the butt on the WSM at 5:10 this morning. Had somw variences in the meet temps, so I decided it was better to play it safe, and left it on the bottom rack until 5:30 this evening. I put 3 racks of baby backs on the top grate at 2:00, (2 in the 'magic dust, and the 3rd in a Kansas rub) each weighing about 3+lbs. I took the ribs off @ 6:45. I saw the forum talking about 'piggles' and decided to make a 8 or 10. Incredible! The ribs, the butt, and the piggles, they all exceeded our expectations!! In fact, one of my frieds asked "how are you going to out-do this?". If you haven't tried them already, you need to make some piggles!! What a fun, easy, and unusual appetiser! the only complaint tonight, was that I didn't make enough piggles, and that a 'dip' would have been good to go with the BB. (I love it, something to shoot for next time.)I will post the pics (believe me, I took several) tomorrow!
Thanks guys, and have an awsome Labor Day!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Tim, I followed prety much the same program as you with butt and ribs and timing. I pulled the butt at 195 @ 4:30 and the loin back ribs shortly after 5 (which I loving placed at on the upper grille at 1:00.) I foiled 2 racks and unfoiled the other 2. Differences, but the racks all ate pretty much the same.

I made so many mistakes and was so clumsy so many times through out the cook and nobody knew a darn thing. I outsmarted myself by setting everything disassembled up to light the cooker at 4 and start cooking at 5. I even filled the chimney and left it out so all I had to do was light the chimney. I screwed up the alarm clock and slept to 5. Then when I got my lazy self outside I realized "THE SPRINKLERS ARE ON!!" With a little water everywhere and some damp coals, I got the fire going and then I realized I overfilled the chamber and couldn't place the water pan properly!!

All was awesome. What a machine! So forgiving. My embarrasments remain here and unknown to my guests! My 3rd cook and 2nd butt and first ribs. On to brisket and turkey!!

Charles, AMEN, this thing is almost idiot proof!! I also had everything pre set for the early wake up call, except I didnt fill the chimney for fear of the heavy due dampening the charcoal. My 2 big busts were I used a bad temp probe and my butt only read 156 for 3 hours!! when I inserted the propper temp probe, it instantly roead 189 in some places and 181 in others. another 45 mins on the WSM and all was well! My other mistake was that I doubted my caols and when my temps started to fall off,( had already tapped the legs) I quickly filled a chiimney w/30 or so brickettes and added to the smoker when ready. I still had a temp of 250 at 9:15 last night!! Looking back, I should have adjusted the coals to get them stirred up and all would have been well. It all tasted superb, and no one went away hungry!! I will try to post the pics this evening. I think you are right, a little pre-Thanksgiving turekey is next.

When you said "after trimming" did you mean that you trimmed the fat off before putting it one the WSM? If so, and you thought they were good that way, leave the fat ON next time and you will pee your pants at how good they will be. The fat will render itself off of the butt but will leave an awesome flavor for you. Just slap the butts on fat cap down and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Good point Allen, and one that sparks cooks with different viewpoints to chime in with their .02 cents worth.
I do butts both ways......cutting off the fat cap...also leaving the fat cap on. Dont know if it is determined by my mood when I cook, the time it takes to trim the fat cap or my desire to try new things.
But, both methods draw opinions. It is said that leaving the fat cap on and turned up helps to continually baste the meat. Others say to turn the fat cap down so it protects the butt bottom side from burning. Last opinion is the way I personally feel. The butt is loaded with internal fat layers...to me the key why the butt is so popular. I love the crusty bark on the outside. When making pulled pork, the bark is a treasure. If you leave the fat cap on the butt, almost 25% of the bark is lost when you pull off the fat layer. Its almost like throwing away best part and knowing this will happen.
Just an opinion like we all have. No single method is an answer since it's all personal preference.
BBQing butts is most forgiving.

Leave the fat cap ON.

Some trim the cap because they want more bark, but IMO, there's plenty of bark anyway.

The reason for leaving the fat cap on is because there is a thin sliver of pork that is nestled between the fat cap and the false cap.

That thin layer between the caps is THE ABSOLUTE FINEST piece of meat you will eat off of the butt.

Because I almost always do the pulling, I am usually the recipient of that piece of meat.

Wow, I never thought of leaving the fat cap in tact! I guess I will have a few more friends over and smoke 2 BB's next time! (1 trimmed, and the 2nd untrimmed) That eay, we can see which tastes better. (you know, all in the name of scientific research and all!!) Any how, it has been said, "If we can't see it, it never happened!" so here they are, the pics from my Labor day smoke! I dropped the ball, and didn't get any pics of the smoke ring, or the BB after it had been pulled. Sorry.
Hope this works, never tried to post an album.
Thanks again, these pics, and all the smiles at the table, would not have possible without ALL the help/advice you all have given me!
....HAving some troubles tonight, every time I upload a pic, it opens up the web site to my home page!! UGGGH! Will try again tomorrow. sorry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
Wow, I never thought of leaving the fat cap in tact! I guess I will have a few more friends over and smoke 2 BB's next time! (1 trimmed, and the 2nd untrimmed) That eay, we can see which tastes better. (you know, all in the name of scientific research and all!!) Any how, it has been said, "If we can't see it, it never happened!" so here they are, the pics from my Labor day smoke! I dropped the ball, and didn't get any pics of the smoke ring, or the BB after it had been pulled. Sorry.
Hope this works, never tried to post an album.
Thanks again, these pics, and all the smiles at the table, would not have possible without ALL the help/advice you all have given me!
....HAving some troubles tonight, every time I upload a pic, it opens up the web site to my home page!! UGGGH! Will try again tomorrow. sorry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I leave the fat cap intact for our butts , i do cover the entire butt with rub with a heavy coating for a good bark. The fat cap help keeps the buuts moist while smoaking inb the WSM.

usually, the fat cap will pull away fromnthe butt when you remove it from the WSM...this is called the "cooks reward". That thin layer of meat covered in bark...OMG, there is nothing finer in this world!

Back