What the?

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
I'm posting this here instead of in Recipes because I think it's more a discussion item than necessarily a recipe that anyone will try. And if you do try it please comment here and feel free to post to Recipes and claim credit because you know more than I do.

I don't know where this came from. I had to replace my laptop last week (not recommended) and after doing a Restore from my Backup, I've been finding all sorts of strange organization issues with files and subdirectories not at all where expected. So far, I don't think I've lost anything, but just like moving (oh yeah, that was just in January!), you get unloaded and may have no idea where lots of stuff is.

Anyway, the odd recipe. This was a file under the recipe subd. But I don't remember anything about it and, after living in east NC for more than 60 years and being a bbq lover, I've never run into anything like it. I think most eastern North Carolinians might actually be offended by this title put on this recipe.

Old Time Eastern North Carolina Barbecue Sauce Recipe

1/2 pound butter
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (white will work also)
3 tblsp lemon juice (approx. 1 lemon)
1 1/2 tblsp Worcestershire sauce (preferably Lea & Perrins)
1 tblsp honey
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper (fresh ground if you have it)

I'm not saying this would make a bad sauce -- but what the h--- is it? For all I know, I may have found it here on TVWBB -- or any of the many other sites and articles I've checked out over the last 12 years that I've been storing recipes on two previous laptops.

Odd you had those issues. Can't answer the sauce question. But recently I bought a second Win11 laptop. Once I did initial setup and signed into my MS account. It asked me if I wanted to "restore" from the other laptop. I clicked yes and I had an instant copy of my other one. Verbatim

Old Time Eastern North Carolina Barbecue Sauce Recipe

1/2 pound butter
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (white will work also)
3 tblsp lemon juice (approx. 1 lemon)
1 1/2 tblsp Worcestershire sauce (preferably Lea & Perrins)
1 tblsp honey
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper (fresh ground if you have it)

I'm not saying this would make a bad sauce -- but what the h--- is it? For all I know, I may have found it here on TVWBB -- or any of the many other sites and articles I've checked out over the last 12 years that I've been storing recipes on two previous laptops.
A slight twist to your basic vinegar based sauce (no Ketchup) more of a dippin sauce (Sliders) The only "twist" I see is the butter & worcestershire sauce, everything else is textbook (imho)

Yes, though east NC sauces have little or no ketchup and no way am I dumping a half pound of butter on my already fat imbued pulled pork!
I don't think you're supposed to put it all on one slider. LOL
I might make it, just to have as an alternative. With Memorial Day weekend coming up, it's always good to have variety. I'll report back my findings

AttaBoy @ChuckO, take one for the team! I’m conflicted and excited at the same time over this recipe and can’t wait to hear the report.

I don't think you're supposed to put it all on one slider. LOL
I might make it, just to have as an alternative. With Memorial Day weekend coming up, it's always good to have variety. I'll report back my f
One slider-- absolutely not! But I pour good NC BBQ sauce (eastern) over a 9 lb Boston Butt and would not consider that with this sauce. I'd really like to know what you think.

This recipe looks like what someone from the NE, or someone who has never set foot in NC, thinks NC BBQ is and would probably be closer to a piedmont BBQ sauce.

One slider-- absolutely not! But I pour good NC BBQ sauce (eastern) over a 9 lb Boston Butt and would not consider that with this sauce. I'd really like to know what you think.
I'll make it for sure, I may not do a 1/2 pound, maybe just a cube of butter. We like making rubs and sauces, some are enjoyed, some are tossed, it's all part of the experience (imho)

Rich, so far, to the best of my knowledge, this is not one of my recipes. Sorry I can't be of any help.

This recipe looks like what someone from the NE, or someone who has never set foot in NC, thinks NC BBQ is and would probably be closer to a piedmont BBQ sauce.
Agree with the first part, but definitely not the Piedmont either. The difference between eastern and western NC BBQ sauce wanders a staggering line throughout the Piedmont. I live on the eastern Piedmont (right next to the Triassic Basin that drops down towards the Coastal Plain), and this ain't Piedmont BBQ sauce neither.

I've gone out of my way to try BBQ from around NC and have found that the east/west line is not distinct. I guess generalizations seldom are. In my wife's hometown located in the extreme western mountains (west of the Blue Ridge Parkway), one of the best BBQ I've had was a local variation of what I would call eastern NC BBQ sauce. (Poured over the whole hog cook by the gallon.) My favorite BBQ place (eastern) is Allen and Sons,
about 4 miles south of where I live. But if you get the chance, also don't miss The Pit in Raleigh (chopped version, not shredded).

I first was moved to NC at 15. I hated my first taste of NC BBQ. Life changes!

Agree with the first part, but definitely not the Piedmont either. The difference between eastern and western NC BBQ sauce wanders a staggering line throughout the Piedmont. I live on the eastern Piedmont (right next to the Triassic Basin that drops down towards the Coastal Plain), and this ain't Piedmont BBQ sauce neither.

I've gone out of my way to try BBQ from around NC and have found that the east/west line is not distinct. I guess generalizations seldom are. In my wife's hometown located in the extreme western mountains (west of the Blue Ridge Parkway), one of the best BBQ I've had was a local variation of what I would call eastern NC BBQ sauce. (Poured over the whole hog cook by the gallon.) My favorite BBQ place (eastern) is Allen and Sons,
about 4 miles south of where I live. But if you get the chance, also don't miss The Pit in Raleigh (chopped version, not shredded).

I first was moved to NC at 15. I hated my first taste of NC BBQ. Life changes!
Agreed its not piedmont. Just thought it was a little closer to piedmont than eastern due to the sweetener (honey). I spent the last 30 or so years in the Piedmont just north of Lexington in Winston Salem, until I moved to central Tennessee a few weeks ago. The local stuff was good in a pinch but much preferred Eastern. Every time I drove thru Burlington I'd stop at a Smithfields. YUM YUM

I don't know what to call it, but I'd probably use it as a dipping sauce. Might need a some red pepper flakes, Chipotle powder, or a splash of Sriracha to add a little bite....

That’s very similar to a university of Kentucky recipe but, not quite.
There was a group of students that had a booth at the “Festival of the Bluegrass“ at Masterson station Park where they sold “pork chop sandwiches” I think they were $3.00 with a light but noticeable vinegar sauce! Bone in chop on a hamburger bun just enough sauce to get to your elbow by the second bite! Fabulous!!

Back