What temperature settings do you use for your Stoker?

Eric Simon

TVWBB Fan
You guys have been great about answering my goofy questions - thank you! - so here is one more.

What range of temperatures do you set for the Stoker smoker probe? For example, if I want to do an overnight brisket low-and-slow at 225, obviously I set the target temp for 225. But what do you set for the range of above/below temps? How tight to you make it? 220 for low and 230 for high? Just curious. Any other setting tweaks that are useful?

Thank you!

I usually set a pretty wide range. For example, if the target temp is 250 I may set the lower limit at 200 and the upper at 280. My reasoning is that I'm not really worried about fluctuations of 10 degrees or so during an overnight cook, but I do want to be alerted if the temperature gets really low (meaning I may be running out of fuel), or really high (meaning that the access door may have fallen off - don't ask me how I know). Otherwise, I'm content to let the Stoker do its thing, and if the temps go up and down a little bit, it isn't going to have a real effect on the final product.

Back