What Temperature for Pork Ribs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

TVWBB Member
I'm just now preparing to take my first whack at using the WSM smoker, and I'm trying to follow the BRITU recipe as closely as possible. As I'm living outside the U.S., the pork ribs my butcher was able to give me are definitely not "baby back." They almost look like two small roasts, in that they are each about 3-4 lbs., but around one and one half inches thick (pretty much overall). I'm gonna have to use what I've got, and I have not noticed a "target temperature" for doneness in the BRITU recipe (I may well just have missed it). As these ribs are pretty thick, I'm thinking that I should likely have a target temp to shoot for to ensure that they are cooked enough, but hopefully not too much. I'd appreciate any help anyone may be able to offer. Many thanks.

It's not clear whether you've got back ribs or spareribs with a thick layer of meat still attached, but I would say 190*F would be a good temp to shoot for, especially if they're spareribs.

Good luck, and let us know how they turn out.

Regards,
Chris

Chris -
Thanks for the answer concerning the temperature for the ribs. I'll need to talk to our butcher here in more detail next time to ensure that I end up with the kind of ribs I'm after. Importantly, however, they were fantastic! My wife and daughters were blown away by how great they tasted and how moist the meat was. Great smokey flavor, but it wasn't overwhelming. The BRITU rub came through wonderfully in the finished product. As this was my first run with the new smoker, this leaves me very motivated to smoke some more, and soon! I've been using a regular Weber grill for many years, but I was extremely impressed at how accurately I was able to control the temperature with very minor adjustments on my WSM. I'm hooked! Thanks again for your response,and congratulations on an excellent website. I check it out almost every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back